Author Topic: Fethiye Rock Tombs: Make the Most of a Local Treasure  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Fethiye Rock Tombs: Make the Most of a Local Treasure
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »
I just cannot understand why the locals would do this.  Having such a piece of history as these Rock Tombs right on their doorstep is a wonderful thing, but they seem to have no feelings for this place other than to use it as a rubbish dump.
I have read reports on the net from tourists saying the Rock Tombs in Fethiye were disappointing.... No wonder.

Offline academylin

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:25:29 AM »

A few weeks back i walked the dogs up to the tombs and was shocked by the amount of everyday waste left by people visiting these " beauty spots".

The amount of broken glass bottles ( along with plastic bottles, wrappers, cig ends, etc) make a " mountain walk" treacherous for the animals, and not too pleasant for tourists/ visitors.

English heritage and the national trust would be pulling there hair out! My husband says its a cultural thing but in fact people are just being rude, its a shame its to themselves!

The irony of the mess are the empty dumpsters lining the route.

Offline davybill

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:14:13 AM »
A few years ago the  locals were burning the plastic off the electric cable in the tombs.
for the copper wire,

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:12:21 AM »
Unfortunately it's a Turkish thing. You've all seen the rubbish that gets left behind after a Turkish family have a picnic or, if you take a walk through the forests, the amount of fly-tipping that's happening.

There are ancient trails in the Kaya valley where thousands of glass and plastic bottles have been dumped by cafes and restaurants because the owners don't want to pay for their collection by the council. Turkey is the ultimate "throw-away" society.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf