Author Topic: mosquito/insect bite repellants  (Read 6038 times)

Offline Christie

mosquito/insect bite repellants
« on: May 24, 2017, 22:59:01 PM »
What do people use to avoid being bitten by mossies or insects please.  Do the bottles of lemon spray that seem to be in all the shops work for this ?  it would be preferable to use a something that isn't full of chemicals if possible.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: mosquito/insect bite repellants
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »
It depends on the person.  As proven some are more attractive to mosquitoes  than others.  The only thing that will work is a product with Deet in it.   We use "Off"  As we are only using it for a short time, the chemicals are not going to any harm.
Watched a programme on T.V. With a British University Professor who had studied mozzies for years.  He said none of the "cures" apart from Deet worked and he had tested Avon Skin So Soft. 2% effective, lemon oil, Vitamin B tablets etc.,   He did stress that some people do not attract any attention from mozzies and some are really attractive to them.  He also said there was nothing  effective yet against horse flies. They were working on that.  :o

Offline Christie

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »
Thanks Jacqui, I was really enquiring for a friend who gets bitten easily and has a bad skin reaction.  I can understand Deet works but it looks like it has a lot of chemicals in it and our friend would need to use the repellant all the while, so that would not really be feasible.   presumably the lemon spray they sell in Turkey is not for keeping mossies etc away ? 

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
I used to get bitten frequently whilst mosqitoes avoided Hilary (she showed no great sympathy for me). I had allergic reactions to the bites so they would swell to the size of a 50p piece. Since then I have succumbed to many illnesses and now take 8 different pills a day. The result is that mosquitoes avoid my tainted blood, fly past and bite Hilary ("Ho! Ho!" I chortle - but surreptitiously of course). Short of polluting your blood with medication, I agree with JH (there's a novelty) that Deet is the only successful deterrent. Suggest to your friend that they start taking anti-histamine tablets (the one-a-day ones are fine for me) a couple of days before the holiday and carry on throughout even if they are not bitten. It won't stop being bitten but will ameliorate the effects.

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 13:28:52 PM »
The OH uses mosquito milk (orders in the UK from chemist direct) as she is the one who gets attacked by them & I'm mostly ignored, keep eating more marmite & chillies  ;D

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 14:09:17 PM »
I recommend Odomos. Approved by the World Health Org. Safe to use on babies, safeguards against Dennis fever, malaria and zika.  Buy on eBay for delivery from within the UK for fast delivery or Amazon. Excellent protection and if anyone cannot tolerate anti histamine this is safe and effective. Excellent stuff that smells nice, is natural and spreads nicely.

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 14:47:46 PM »
Does it contain Deet?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 16:40:36 PM »
The Prof I watched said Deet was tested as safe in the sprays we buy.  It has to be by law.  If you look it up on the net it tells you this.  Jungle Formula etc., all have Deet.  I would image if you used all day every day for years and years it would not be good, but just for the holidays it is fine.  In fact I read that it is safe enough to use on children.
I am chancing my luck here, but, I have to say that since I have used Off I have been fine.  I did get some very bad bites a while ago and had to have antibiotics and cream.   Also, we need to remember it is not just the mossies that bite,  also sand flies black flies and jumping spiders to name but a few.
This was my infected leg in 2014 when I used Avon Skin So Soft, which was useless.  Be brave and have a look.
Mozzies love me.

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 20:49:18 PM »
Mosquitos really like blood type O more than type A and if you have had a beer they are really happy.Some people eat a lot of Marmite as this seems to deter them.I found the lemon helped me keep them at bay a bit but I am A type blood. Re the picture :that looks sore.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 21:16:58 PM »
My blood group is B and i always get bitten.  I started using 'Off' as it was recommended to me when i was last in Turkey.  It seems to work but smells disgusting. I will look 'Odomos' up Ray 1951 as i fancy a nicer smell than Off, and if it works then 2 positives for the price of one  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf