Author Topic: New Mosque  (Read 16966 times)

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
Re: New Mosque
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 22:41:13 PM »
We first got wind of the new mosque last June, when we noticed from our balcony that what had been a field with goats had foundations.
The owner of our hotel told us it was to be a men only mosque;  he was angry about it, as there had been no consultation.  Apparently, it was part of Erdogan’s plan to finance the building of mosques, which, together with the increased tax on alcohol and tobacco would cripple the tourist trade and put people off relocating to Turkey. 
Our friends who live in Calis have sent us pictures of the completed mosque.  A beautiful building it is, without the traditional dome. I’d love to see inside it, and if I can spot the imam, I may ask if we can have a look.
We have booked our room at the Tugay for May/June for four weeks, as I think we need to see how t is.  I’m really hoping it’s going to be ok, as we love the hotel very much.  We shall see, but fingers crossed.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
New Mosque
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 23:16:11 PM »

Maybe someone can help Wendy if you haven't all frightened her off.

Who is Wendy?

For the record I wasn’t responding to the original question, I was responding to the later post about there being a number of comments on Facebook from people who were not happy about the call to prayer/new mosque.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 11:55:15 AM »
I'm sure like everyone else you'll get used to it Lyndsay.
Just have an extra nightcap or two and sleep through it 😁

Offline angieebabe

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 17:26:12 PM »
Just to let you know Michelle.derek the Speaker on the Lampost at the Nevada Hotel has now been removed , so your early morning call is now in the distance from the new Mosque, a big improvement .
We lived right opposite this speaker and can confirm Turks and Brits thought it was loud , but all happy now .

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 18:36:54 PM »
Sorry Markar but I dont agree with you saying we have “hounded Wendy” re her question about the mosque, we have all said our own opinions/ experiences of said mosque and life would be boring if we all thought the same re certain subjects...I stick by what I said re the topic annoyed me purely because Turkey is a muslim country and the mosques are soo much part and parcel of Turkey...Wendy is probably far more likely going to be woken up at all hours of the night by the ever increasing poor animals barking their heads off or cats fighting at all hours, animals that have found themselves living on the streets thru no fault of their own

Offline angieebabe

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 06:29:35 AM »
In answer to your question Wendy , yes , you will get a decent nights sleep .  The speakers at the New Mosque are not that loud . Enjoy your stay on your return .

Offline madmart

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 08:48:56 AM »
Once again it seems that someone has read something on Facebook and taken it as gospel.

I and many others have pointed out before that just because it is on Facebook. DOES NOT MEAN IT IS TRUE!

Offline dycedon

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 09:14:41 AM »
We had an Apt in Gunlukbasi and the mosque was approx. 100m from the apt, it didn't really bother, you may have heard call to prayer in the morning. You really do get tuned in and used to it. The mosque was there before we bought the apt so we knew the score on call to prayer etc. The only thing I didn't manage to see was the drummer during Ramadan, treid umpteen times but to no avail.

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 17:31:49 PM »
We had a mosque near to our apartment.  It was very useful.  It acted as our bus stop.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf