Author Topic: Passports  (Read 3765 times)

Offline IanK

Re: Passports
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 13:46:44 PM »
And from the same place, here's something I didnt know.....

If you drive in Turkey, you must have either an International Driving Permit or a notarised copy (in Turkish) of your UK driving licence.

Ive rented cars many times and this has never been mentioned!

Ian

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 13:47:56 PM »
I've been stopped many times by the Jandarma and Polis and they've always accepted an EU driving licence and passport and have never asked for an IDP.

But if you've lived there 6 months you should get a Turkish Driving Licence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Turkey
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 13:55:29 PM by KKOB »

Offline Phil

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 14:22:13 PM »
Has any one recently seen ( or heard about ) a fine being levied or suffered such a fate ??

Offline Menthol

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 21:24:51 PM »
It is the law to carry your passport with you at all times when a visitor to Turkey.

There are permanent Jandarma check points in the area, notably one at the top of the hill as you come into Ovacik.

I live in Ovacik and pass this point twice a day just about every day of the week. It is rare to see it empty of stopped vehicles and of course I am stopped frequently.

I have seen many tourists being taken into the station house there, one can only presume because they do not meet criteria in some way.

Polis also have frequent road checks of ALL vehicles and would want to see your passport too.

I've lived here over 5 years, carry mine and my husband's passports and ikamets (residency cards) with me EVERYWHERE. Sometimes the Jandarma/Polis want to see our ikamets, sometimes our passports. If we didn't have ikamets, it is certain that they would insist on seeing our passports.

Offline yakamoz

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 22:44:50 PM »
I had my passport copied and laminated in a small size in Fethiye a few years ago. I always carried that with me. Showed that when dolmus stopped by Jandarma. Perhaps that wouldn't be acceptable now. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf