Author Topic: What to do about Mobile Telephones????  (Read 2674 times)

Offline DavidNicholson

What to do about Mobile Telephones????
« on: May 05, 2020, 13:48:54 PM »
Just wondering what folks are doing about mobile phones whilst in Turkey, now that so much has changed with them.

We usually vist three times a year for just over two weeks at a time, so not resident, just vistors.  We used to have a Turkish PAYG mobile which we kept topped up and used on our vists, but as you all know they killed off mobiles not owned by people with residency.  Then we had a UK Vodafone PAYG phone that we brought over to use whilst there, and that worked really well, but again, that facility has gone with Vodafone no longer including Turkey in their roaming facility.

So, what do people see as the best solution for calling friends and family back home, booking restaurants, calling for deliveries of supplies, and ringing for a taxi, etc., etc.

Will be interested to hear thoughts and solutions (ready for when we can actually come back to our second home in Turkey).

Offline Fran

What to do about Mobile Telephones????
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 15:50:37 PM »
Vodafone still include Turkey but it’s on their unlimited max plan. I’ve upgraded to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve A

Re: What to do about Mobile Telephones????
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 15:59:51 PM »
I just use my UK phone,WiFi if possible for WhatsApp and FaceTime.Turn off data roaming,use phone sensibly with only a few international calls a week and in addition to my monthly plan it Costa around an extra £20 a week which isn’t even a days drink so don’t mind paying.

Offline tonyb

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 17:06:11 PM »
Hello- Vodafone are still including Turkey in their ROAM FREE destinations upto July 7th 2020. They originally ended this facility but have back peddled and reinstated it.

Offline thekeyclan

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 18:40:45 PM »
I had a pay monthly contract (with phone) with Vodafone until Jan 21. I called Vodafone within 30 days of being advised that I soon wouldn’t be able to use my contract minutes and data free of charge in Turkey. They said I could cancel my contract ( because they were making a contractual change) or convert my existing contract to a 12 month unlimited max SIM only deal, which as already stated includes Turkey in its roam free area. This I did, I am also able to keep my phone and the icing on the cake is, I am paying £2-50 a month LESS.

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 12:28:54 PM »
Very many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.  It looks like I need to dig a bit deeper into the Vodafone deals as I think that might resolve the problem.

Thank you.

Offline Wasp0

• It takes a lot of balls to golf the way I do
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 14:17:35 PM »
Vodafone are Cheeky bar-stewards, my wife and I are both with VF for the sole reason of the roam free in Turkey. Having read this thread, we phoned Vodafone and said WTF is going on. She (VF customer service) said you where sent a letter telling you of the proposed changes and if we did not hear back from you within 30 days of said letter, we will take this as an agreement of the new proposed change of your contract.

I challenged them to send me proof of delivery of said letter, as we had NOT (R) NOT received either a letter, email or txt of your proposed change of contract. Long story short and speaking to 4 people going up the food change at VF, until i reached a level slightly above anaerobic matter who had a brain cell, and he made the decision to transfer my wife and I to the service which still includes Turkey as a roam free destination FOC. (Think they call it Roam Plus, or something similar).

My sincere apologies to anyone who works for VF, has close relatives who work for VF or good friends who work for VF or who are offended by my description of VF customer service, but after working for 20 years in the IT trade and having to deal with the likes of VF, BT, EE, TalkTalk etc etc customer service almost on a daily basis, i don't REALLY apologises  at all, i just said that to make you feel better  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf