Author Topic: british people who live in Calis/fethiya  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Piscoe

british people who live in Calis/fethiya
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 16:13:31 PM »
My brother-in-law did web design for customers in the UK. He did it unofficially from home (now my Villa) but when he decided he wanted to do more work that got him out and about and that is where his problems started.
In Turkey there are a lot of very jealous locals who think that it is wrong for Brits to work there. The red tape by all accounts is an absolute minefield when everything goes your way but when there are lots of locals complaining it will make things 100 times worse.

My advice mirrors what you have heard on here already, don't bother.

I have worked in Brazil but again I wouldn't advise it. I found it very difficult even though I was very heavily supported by my company and I speak Spanish and can get by in Portugese.

If it isn't a silly question why don't you try Spain as a starting point. It's safe and a lot less beaurocratic and well tested by many a Brit. You can tour the areas staying around while you make up your mind where you like and then rent an apartment while you look at bars and restaurants. Never take an agent or current bar owners view on takings however. If you like the place then spend time in there at different times making a note of trade.

I remember meeting a couple in Majorca who sold up in Blighty, went over one weekend and bought the first place they were shown. They had dreams of a nice little English Cafe by the sea. The area was Playa De Palma, a predominantly German area. It closed within six months.

Clearly you are doing your research but if it is your first time working abroad then stick to what is safe and save Calis for holidays and retirement.

Pete

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 16:22:05 PM »
Jealous locals = Turkish but also very much Brits.

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 18:31:49 PM »
Hi Debbie & Billy - you sound like me 12 months ago - I wanted to run a small hotel and really researched and saw a few.  Finally decided that the red tape would get me and I didn't stand a chance without a turkish partner etc...... couldn't afford to retire and was desperate to get to Calis/Fethiye to live - kept my eye on all sorts of websites and papers and have been lucky enought to get a job with work permit.  I'm in the process of packing ready to move in about 2 weeks - so my advice do your research......explore all avenues and don't give up - it's taken me awhile and lots of planning but it is finally happening. Does your uk employer allow home working?  They don't very often state you have to live in the UK and I know a few people who are working remotely from overseas locations. It's worth asking the questions :-)

Offline Nicki

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 20:50:26 PM »
Koray and I are running Park Aparthotel in Calis and used to run Palms Restaurant - come and have a coffee and a chat - have learned any dos and don'ts along the way......

Offline Robw

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 13:44:15 PM »

I back the advice of Piscoe if you were considering Spain and i speak from experience.

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 14:01:20 PM »
'In Turkey there are a lot of very jealous locals who think that it is wrong for Brits to work there.'.... it is illegal.. not wrong.

Offline minxer

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 14:59:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Jealous locals = Turkish but also very much Brits.

agree 100% leave it to someone else! 8)

Offline kanga

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 17:04:38 PM »
try the gambia ,very good for setting up english bars & restaurants ect
or maybe the up and coming cape verde islands  ,get in now before its flooded

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf