Author Topic: ATM's  (Read 3307 times)

Offline NigelWatts

ATM's
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »
Hi everyone

Does anyone know if the ATM's in Calis or Fethiye accept a Nationwide cashcard with the cirrus and link (but not visa/mastercard) logo on it.

My wife has this cashcard and during our holiday this summer I am coming back to England for a week for work reasons and leaving my wife and kids in Turkey, and it seems a good idea to put money in her account for her to draw out when required so she doesnt have to have much cash with her.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Nigel
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:36:00 PM by NigelWatts »

Offline tonysue

ATM's
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »
Yes, we use the nationwide card in most ATMs. There are 2 machines at the Dolphin junction, a HBBC machine over the bridge and another by the waterpark all in Calis. There are also 2 now on the Gunlukbasi road next to and opposite the police station. :)

Offline NigelWatts

ATM's
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 13:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. She will regularly go into Calis and Gunlukbasi so thats great to know the Cirrus card works as she has only just got it.

Regards

Nigel

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

ATM's
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 16:50:45 PM »
When you refer to Nationwide cash card I take it you mean a visa debit card. Last year on this forum there was a rather long debate on the use of nationwide cards. My understanding was that foreign withdrawals using the basic cash card were to be stopped and only visa debit cards could be used abroad.

Nationwide cards that can be used abroad

Only VISA and MasterCard / Cirrus supported cards can be used to make purchases or withdraw cash abroad, they include:

* FlexAccount
    * Credit card

Nationwide savings accounts that have cash cards cannot be used to make purchases or withdraw cash abroad.

As it is a Cirrus card you should be able to make withdrawals
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 16:54:13 PM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Offline NigelWatts

ATM's
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:09:53 AM »
It is a Nationwide cash card NOT a visa debit card. It has the cirrus and link logo only.

So are you saying it cannot be used abroad?

Thanks

Nigel

Offline tonysue

ATM's
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
I would ring nationwide and ask. My card IS a nationwide visa debit and has the link logo, but no cirrus logo. I can withdraw cash for free as I have a nationwide flex account. Incidently my card was due for renewal whilst I was in Turkey and they refused to issue it early, I had to "lose" it before a new card was issued.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
ATM's
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »
If the card only has Cirrus or Link logos it's probably linked to your Cashbuilder account and won't work outside of the UK. To be used outside of the UK a Nationwide card needs to have a Visa or Mastercard logo and be linked to your Flexaccount.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:57:11 AM by KKOB »

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

ATM's
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »
Is the account you have with Nationwide a savings account?

If it is then you will not be able to use it abroad.

The information I provided above is from the NBS web site.

It sounds like you have  a savings account, probably a cashbuilder account. If it is you can only use it in the UK.

Offline NigelWatts

ATM's
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »
Yes she has a new savings account, I think it is a flex account. We will give it a go and if not revert to another account.

Thanks for all the responses.

Nigel

Offline BM06

ATM's
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 14:36:43 PM »
Nigel, advise her to keep an eye on anyone hanging around ATMs offering help!! there is a scam mob going about, just be as careful as you would be in England, or where ever you lay your hat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf