Author Topic: Travel insurance with health problems  (Read 3640 times)

Offline friar tuck

Travel insurance with health problems
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 09:48:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Oops

https://www.o2insurance.co.uk/

Just looked at this site very easy to navigate and very good price on premium, I am type2 diabetic and a smoker also take statins for cholesterol premium £34 without diabetic cover and only an extra £9 to cover existing declared illness thats for an annual policy very good indeed.  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 09:53:14 AM »
Unfortunately Friar my list is rather longer than your's but I'll certainly give the company a try.

Edit.
Well I tried O2 this morning. The annual insurance looked really good at £203 - considering  I had to declare 10 conditions (or 12 if you include associated conditions). Then I read the small print that told me multi-trip policies cover trips of less than 31 days. So I tried a quote for the 60 days my single trip would last - result £592 (almost the same as Saga, and they would have covered Hilary as well).

Why so much difference in going on one 60 day trip rather than many 30 day trips? Incidentall, without medical conditions the annual rate is £34 and the single trip £122.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 12:27:34 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
I have finally bought insurance for my 57 day trip. Saga had quoted me £606 ut I signed with http://www.staysure.co.uk at £420. Still very expensive but then I have 10 conditions to declare. I think this will be the last time I'll do a long stay - certainly in a non-EU country - because the prices shoot up when you cross the 31 day barrier. Flexicover also offered insurance at about this price.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Offline epsomboy

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 20:10:22 PM »
Hi
 i am also diabetic type 2,is it possible to buy metformin and all the other tablets i take  in Turkey over the counter? and idea of what they cost also? Wil supply a full list of what i take later
Thankyou

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 22:24:49 PM »
Yes it is possible to buy metformin over the counter. It is called Diaformin and it comes in various sizes. A 100 tablets of 1000mg cost approximately 16TL. They can be bought at any chemist. My advice would be to take a copy of NHS perscription with you.

The trouble with exclusions in insurance policies is that they can attribute anything illness to the exclusions.

When I wanted travel insurance they excluded my Type 2 diabetes. While in Turkey I had a kidney stone problem and guess what the insurance company wanted to avoid paying saying it is diabetic related. After a struggle I did get my money back.

My wife had a barclays account with insurance included and they were excellent.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 22:32:59 PM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Offline hubblebubble

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 08:42:01 AM »
for stays of longer than 30 days I found it was generally beter to look at backpacker type insurance, they do cover us older ones as well though not i think the very old.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf