Author Topic: rent or buy  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
rent or buy
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 21:08:20 PM »
It sure feels that way Eric.

Offline slartibartfast

rent or buy
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 22:14:38 PM »
Agenda or not,  from a devil's advocate position I can see the logic in a question.   As it is posted in the "Property Owners Forum - Views, Questions, Answers" you would have to assume the bulk of the readers will be owners or prospective owners.   The way the questions have been put this possibly is not the best section to use as at could come across as poking owners with a sharp stick.

I quite agree if you want to live in the area renting sounds a good option.  No big capital outlay and , no worries about looking after your "investment" and no hassle when you want to move on.  The downside is having to move on when you may not want to.  

From an owners perspective (well this owner) holiday rentals will attract higher rates than long term rentals and give owners the flexibility to only book the weeks they want to book out and keep weeks free form themselves.   I have never seriously considered long term letting over winter as it could well be more trouble than it's worth  ... even with a very good tennent who looks after your property and who doesn't expect perfection for a winter pittance in a non perfect world.  I would need to ensure the property was in tip-top condition for  holiday rentals from May onwards.  Doing a winter lett just adds more risk and potential grief.

"but most seem to be on packages as they often cost little different than flights, so I can't imagine the holiday rentals market nets spectacular yields"   The importance of this is related to whether this is the main motivation for buying or not. The other side of this statement depends on what you are comparing it to.  Savings and Investment rates are very low and a lot of people do very well on their rental occupancy as not everyone is looking for a package holiday.  A family holiday in a nice villa or apartment is a different thing altogether and it isn't an expensive option.

There are probably lots of owners out there in different situations so some may be keen for longer term rentals so good luck.     As Scunner has said, as this is an "Owners" section you have posted in you may need more luck than if you hadn't posted the rather naive  "why not rent, then someone else gets all the grief" ..... unless there is an "agenda" ;-)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
rent or buy
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 22:24:31 PM »
I'm not really interested in the topic to be honest. I made a small and general observation and Jacqui as an owner confirmed it to be the case. I have been on the net a while and when I make a comment and have a ridiculous interpretation of it thrown at me I feel rather weary. When I deny that interpretation and the opposite ridiculous interpretation is rammed into me, I tend to smell a rat, as Eric did.

Nobody needs to put words in my mouth, if you know me you will know I have plenty words of my own.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
rent or buy
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 22:32:06 PM »
To get back onto topic, if we must.

A two bedroom apartment in Calis can (and with the right support will) achieve £300 per week in the 6 months of the summer season. It won't make £300 a month for the other six - or anything like it - quite simply, it will cost more for the full internal repaint to get rid of 6 months of grubby fingerprints around the all the light switches and wear and tear and broken this and that - that is why many Brits avoid off season, long term renting.

Just to be entirely clear, this does not mean that I am saying that nobody rents their property long term, or that lots of people do.

Offline slartibartfast

rent or buy
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 23:08:51 PM »
Sorry Scunner .... I didn't mean to put more words into your more than capable mouth :-)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 23:09:26 PM by slartibartfast »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
rent or buy
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 23:11:30 PM »
My apologies to you Mr Bartfast, I didn't for a moment think you did!

Offline slartibartfast

rent or buy
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 23:41:59 PM »
Glad to hear it ... just wanting to be sure :-)

Offline markcromp

rent or buy
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 13:52:27 PM »
Under £300 a month, cheers.
That was my agenda: finding that number, and I posted here because all the potential renters are owners.
Any suggestions of typically how far under £300 for a let of say Sept to April/May?
ta

Offline hillside

rent or buy
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 15:30:25 PM »
Under £300 a month Nov - April is fine - if you can find an owner willing to bother renting off season for all the reasons Scunner has given . But then what are you going to do in the summer months. Keep moving , paying £300 a week? I wouldnt want to rent a property short or long term - my Turkish home is just that, my home and I would never have the same attachment if I rented.

Offline markcromp

rent or buy
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 14:30:12 PM »
Wasn't worrying about later. Just trying it out. Spent months all over Turkey over the years, but never living, always travelling.
Seems to make sense to try it out at the cheapest time of year. I could always go to Istanbul for Summer, teach in Summer school, accomodation often included.
Thanks for the info.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf