Author Topic: Goverment vehicle insurance  (Read 11077 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

Goverment vehicle insurance
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »
There was a change in the law during May last year.You need residency to sell legally apparently.But then again this is TIT(this is Turkey)!
If you are caught driving your car and do not have a residence permit the police can impound your car.You may also be http://www.noternet.org/umumi/arac-satis-ve-devirlerinde-esas-alinacak-adresler/fined.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:34:21 AM by Daffodil »

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 16:17:49 PM »
No that may be wrong. If you do not have a KPS number you can get a temporary one and use the address on that.

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 19:13:34 PM »
Thanks, peecee...I will try this one :-) Its not the end of the world if we can't finalise the sale before the buyer gets residency, but we'll give it a good try. Especially as some say it is not necessary at all!?
quote:
Originally posted by peecee

I sold my car last year. First of all I found Notaire 2 incredibly unhelpful, insisting that you DID need residency to buy/sell. they just couldn't be bothered to do the extra bit of work required.

Bought residency to sell car but then found out that it wasn't required[:(!] What a waste of money that was[:(!]
There is another Notaire, No. 5, I think, that are very helpful.  They are very close to No.2, difficult to explain but down the one way street, past fish market, heading towards PTT.  The insurance office street. They are up some stairs in a little shopping arcade.

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 19:16:52 PM »
Hi Daffodil,
Err, how do you get hold of a temporary KPS number? Thanks for your input.
quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil

No that may be wrong. If you do not have a KPS number you can get a temporary one and use the address on that.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 21:05:40 PM »
I am not a solicitor or qualified to give definite advice but what I think you do is go to the local Muhtar and get a form from him which registers your address. The form is a KONUTTA KALANLARAAIT KIMLIK BILDIRME BELGES (Form 5). You can take this with you to the Nufus office and get a temporary  number from there.The notary can use this number when selling the car. It all seems up in the air to me and maybe the British Consul at Izmir would be a good place to contact for what is exactly correct. From England 0090 232 463151.
To obtain the form 5 you will need to provide information like a rental agreement or tapu and photographs to the Muhtar. Of course the address on your vehicle documents should be the ones you are registered at.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 21:54:04 PM by Daffodil »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 22:13:34 PM »
To get your Turkish Identity number take your resident permit with you and go to the Kaymakamlik in Fethiye (situated between Migros and the PTT) and as Daffodil says go to the Nufus office.

The Nufus office is just inside the door on the ground floor. There is a sign on the wall to the left of the door. The guy just inside the door will look you up on the computer and issue you with your ID number and give you the information on a piece of paper.

You then take the bit of paper given to the office a little further down the corridor Room no3 (above the door) and this information will be entered into the system.

You will need this ID number to take out or renew car/bike insurance  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 22:21:57 PM by nichola »

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 22:50:43 PM »
Daffodil and Nichola,
It is very kind of both of you to help, much appreciated! We, the sellers, already have residency, but the buyer does not. He has asked us if we can find out if it is absolutely necessary to have residency to buy our car, as obviously he'd rather be able to have the car asap. He is still in the UK until later in the month. So it looks like he will have to follow the procedure you outlined, not us, then we will all be able to go to the Noter and carry on with the sale. Either that, or apply for his residency, which he intends to do anyway, and wait the 3 weeks or so to get it and the kimlik number. Many thanks, guys, you have cleared up much of the confusion in my head :D

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 22:57:51 PM »
http://www.ceydayg.av.tr/articles/how-amendments-to-turkey-s-highway-traffic-regulations-affect-non-turkish-citizens-who-wish-to-buy-or-sell-a-car-in-turkey   Good luck! :)It is worth reading this article as a person on a tourist visa makes a statement to the notary and does not need a KPS number.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:50:51 AM by Daffodil »

Offline Eric

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »
For those who never read peoples links  ;)

The laws regarding buying or selling a vehicle in Turkey were amended on the last day of 2009.  Before then the vendor and purchaser declared their respective addresses on the purchase agreement, and a notary public then proceeded with the transaction. Since January 5, 2010, the notary public is required to take the address of the parties as recorded on the KPS system, irregardless of whether this is the actual current residence of either party.

The Kimlik Paylasim Sistem, or KPS for short, is an ‘Identity Sharing System' enshrined in law in 2008.  Its purpose is to establish an address-based registry of the Turkish population.  This system takes as its starting point the citizen identity number issued to each Turkish citizen. Non-Turkish citizens do not have a KPS registered address, nor do they have a Turkish identity number.

These laws have had an unfortunate unintended consequence for non-Turkish citizens who wish to buy or sell a vehicle in Turkey.  Some notary publics have incorrectly taken the confluence of this legislation to mean that non-Turkish citizens may neither buy nor sell vehicles in Turkey.  This is an obvious injustice in law, and one which is not a correct interpretation of the legislation.

Non-Turkish citizens who hold residence permits for a minimum of six months will have been given a temporary Turkish identification number.  Consequently, they would be registered with the KPS system.  The problems arise for those non-Turkish citizens who do not hold this residence permit for whatever reason. In this case, the notary public is required to take as their address that given by statement to them.  In other words, a non-Turkish citizen who has entered the country on a tourist or other short stay visa may legally give the address of their choice for purposes of this transaction.  There is no requirement for inclusion in the KPS system, as it does not apply to these individuals.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »
I was quite interested in some of the issues raised in this topic about what has been happening regarding buying selling cars, for example the need or not for a resident permit etc.

I asked Dogan who is no expert but he said that the law is the law everywhere in Turkey (unlike for example the States which may have different laws in different States) so there shouldn't be different systems here in Mugla as opposed to say Istanbul.

I mention this ony because sometimes loop holes or getting around the system may seem a good idea or conveniant at the time but in the event something happened at a later date it might cause problems.

I guess like the UK ignorance is not a defence that will wash with the authorities.

I did find this topic a bit confusing to be honest.

As I understand it you do need a resident permit to purchase a vehicle - Eric you posted as I was still writing not sure how if at all this has on bearing on what I am saying.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:33:25 AM by nichola »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf