Author Topic: Beware of changing money in Olu Deniz  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Beware of changing money in Olu Deniz
« on: June 22, 2011, 17:34:28 PM »
Just had a text from my daughter.  She her husband and the baby went to Olu Deniz today and changed money they got 100tl.  They then came back to Fethiye and  went to the supermarket. The money was not accepted, apparently they had been given 100 tl of old Turkish money.  Sedat in the Zurmat Jewellery is going to take it to the Bank for them, but he thinks he may not be able to get it changed.!!
What a rotten trick to play on a young couple with a baby.  I have texted her back to see if she knows the name of the place that changed the money.[:(!]

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 17:49:19 PM »
Heard back from my daughter it was a shop selling woman's and baby clothes, apparently they had lots of baby belly dancing costumes.   However, seems little they can do as they have no proof.  If anyone knows the name of this shop I would really like to get it out here on the Forum to warn other people.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 18:27:16 PM »
A dirty trick indeed - the name will be of course of use but the lesson to impress upon people is that if you don't know the shop, use only licensed change offices. I'm more than happy using a silver shop in Calis (Onur) but we know the owner and if he's going to rip us off he's playing a long game!!! Please, if anyone gets the chance to help people, send them to a bank or change shop, not a shop that sells something else but has a "change" sign too.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 18:40:15 PM »
Your quite right Scunner, we would not change money in a shop like this one.  My daughter now will not do it again either. It's a shame they are coming to the end of their holiday and this should happen, it also gives a bad impression of some Turkish people to my son in law who had been once before 10 years ago when he was in the Navy and he hated Istanbul. We talked him into the fact he would love Calis.   We have changed money at Zumat Jewellers in Calis  our neighbours are best friends with him and introduced us, he actually gave us a better rate than the one on the board outside.  Anyway, my daughter has asked me to put this on the Forum. The shop is halfway up the big shopping street and had a dummy outside wearing a belly dancer outfit.  It was a woman who cheated them:(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 20:06:44 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 18:59:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

had a dummy outside wearing a belly dancer outfit.

You remind me of a photo on Highlander's Facebook

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 16:53:30 PM »
Heard some good news this afternoon. My daughter got in touch to say that Sedat at Zurmat Jewellery in Calis had taken their money to his Bank and managed to get it changed.  He gave them the full amount and charged them nothing to do it.  I just want to say a big thank you to this really nice man.  He will get our business in future.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
I have been given a map reference to view this shop  http://oludeniz360.com/  I went to the reference and clicked into Google Maps on the right and it's picture 54.  The shop is called "Summer Madness".  
I hope members will take note and not use this shop again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf