Author Topic: Driving to Turkey Part 2  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Driving to Turkey Part 2
« on: March 14, 2005, 17:48:03 PM »
Hi there,

We are thinking of buying a small Ford camper for around 2k and driving down from Brum to Calis. We won't be bringing furniture and all just a few personal bits and pieces. I know we could fly but we fancy the adventure driving through Europe. The advice in previous posts is great and will remember that for when the time comes. When we arrive in Calis we would like to sell the camper. Does anyone know how we go about this and what sort of return are we expecting to get back as its a right hand drive?

Cheers.

Steve B.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Driving to Turkey Part 2
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 18:37:06 PM »
You'll get nothing ! 'Cos you'll find it's impossible to sell.

Offline Sinbad

Driving to Turkey Part 2
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 08:29:07 AM »
Alans correct - you will find it hard to get shot of. Might even find it recorded in your passport too which will cause problems when you leave.

Offline n/a

• deleted
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 10:15:30 AM »
You will get a visa for your car in your passport and it has to be taken back out of the country, so impossible to sell.

Offline Kaytee

Driving to Turkey Part 2
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 13:37:42 PM »
What would you recommend for travelling by road to Calis then?
It would be such a nice adventure, crawling through Europe on 4 wheels with some bits and pieces of property we would not want to leave the UK without. Has anyone else done this? Any advice on the best way to go about it?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Driving to Turkey Part 2
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 14:52:31 PM »
If you bring ANY motorvehicle from the UK, it's going to have to go back! Plus you're unlikely to get a UK insurance company to cover you past Istanbul. So, you'll have to buy further cover once you get into Turkey.

Travelling down through Europe by car sounds very exciting and romantic. Believe me, it ain't! Been there, done that, ruined the t-shirt in the wash! LOL

My suggestion is to get a flight to Istanbul. See the sights there for a few days. Drop your personal stuff with a carrier for onward shipment to Fethiye. Then, travelling light, you can do a few coach hops down through Turkey.

Offline Sinbad

Driving to Turkey Part 2
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 07:27:23 AM »
Saga were the only company that I heard of that would insure a car - but I think it was also on the basis of a short visit.

Offline Dippey

Driving to Turkey Part 2
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 12:49:56 PM »
I have a question:-

I noticed in the local rag someone selling a vehicle "with english plates",

1)what would happen if the vehicle needs to be out of the country in six months and it has been sold to somebody else?
2) what happens to the buyer and seller, are they fined?
3) what happens to the vehicle, how is it checked, followed up to leave the country?
4) How, as a buyer, do we insure that the vehicle does not need to leave the country? i am not a number plate expert:(.

Any ideas anyone?, (apart from going to a reputible dealer)

Dipps
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 12:52:13 PM by Dippey »

Offline karen

Driving to Turkey Part 2
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 20:30:15 PM »
We contacted the turkish embassy in london last year and they said you can only sell the vehicle to a non turkish person, I belive this is a bit of a grey area so if anyone can shed any more light? or the vehicle has to be disposed of (as in srubbishped I surpose) and all documents have to handed in the customs.
karen

Offline kanga

Driving to Turkey Part 2
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 01:02:51 AM »
a friend of ours bought a jeep ,a ssangyongsong or somthing like that ,it was on english plates
,he bought it of a friend and had it confiscated and taken to the customs office by  fethiye harbour ,luckily his friend  is the cchief of police and got his money back for him,the car was still there parked up 12 months later,be careful

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf