Author Topic: Peacocks  (Read 12561 times)

Offline TimJon

• Looking forward to ..............
Peacocks
« on: August 26, 2012, 15:58:19 PM »
I  don't know anything about how much space a caged bird is supposed to have but I do think that the two Peacocks and at least one Peahen which are caged on the opposite side of the Deniz Kuzu restuarant on the way from Gemiler village to Gemiler Beach looked pretty damned cramped in that cage.

I am not trying to start a witch hunt against the owners or am a "rightist" in any way but it seems a bit "tight" for those birds. Maybe they are ok, I just do not know. I am hoping that someone who does know can have a look. Mayhaps this is another attempt to drum  up business in that inimitable "Turkish" style - Dolphins, Ducks, Terrapins et al?

TJ ??? ???

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Peacocks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 17:02:44 PM »
I used to keep two pea hens and a peacock (called Percy).  They like to roam freely during the day and usually in high places in the evening, usually trees. 
When customers used to come to my shop Percy used to come up and display his feathers to them. He was so tame people feed him from their hands. 
It seems totally cruetly to keep them in a cage.   Peacocks do not belong in cages they should be roaming and flying as they wish. 
Once they are familiar with their surroundings, they will always come back to be fed and to roost, so why cage them??   >:( :(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 18:38:26 PM »
They're OK. They keep them in the cages for their own safety while the quad-bike safaris are racing up and down the road and showing no regard for safety.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 19:46:48 PM »
So why bother keeping them at all if they are going to be caged up "for their own protection"  Sorry, I don't buy that argument.
We also have a road coming up to our place, but the peacocks just used to fly out of the way, and lots of time up to the roof.
I know a big Farm in this area  that keep a lot of peacocks and there are quads, tractors, combines up and down the road and into the farm all the time.  The Farmer does not pen them up and they manage just fine.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 20:00:07 PM »
Jacqui, They're not MY peacocks so I can't answer all your questions about them.

I can tell you however that the quad-bike riders have in the past chased and killed, or caused the death of, a number of livestock including peacocks, chickens, goats and lambs in the Kaya Valley. They've also been seen deliberately squashing tortoises, chameleons and agamas. The peacocks are caged for part of the day for about 8 weeks during the summer because of the quads, and at night during the rest of the year to protect them from polecats.

Whether or not you care to "buy that argument" is entirely your choice.

Offline Stan

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 20:06:19 PM »
Disturbing to read that , how nasty people can be. Sad

Offline TimJon

• Looking forward to ..............
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 20:18:45 PM »
KKOB wrote:
"They're OK. They keep them in the cages for their own safety while the quad-bike safaris are racing up and down the road and showing no regard for safety."

Well, I have been down that road enough times to see the quadbikers sitting in that cafe quaffing beverages of all sorts whilst the birds are still caged so please, don't say that the peacococks prediciments are the fault made by their feathered selves. No, It is  those who run the quadbiker company  who don't care about the birds, for goodness sake I have seen many of them (the holidaymakers) hanging on to their motorised steeds for dear life as their "guides" foment them to drive faster (lookee, I video you!!!!)

NO KKOB!!! you cannot pass this onto people who are here today and gone tomorrow. In my humble opinion it is the inherent belief that these Turkish catering businesses think that have to have an attraction to bring in tourist money.

I still wait to hear someone complain that they think that Yakapark is cruel to have live trout in a "stream" running along the top of an open bar area so that customers can "tickle " them to death in the shallow warm water whilst laughingly down an Efes or two.

TJ  :( :( :(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 20:20:55 PM »
Just to reiterate something already said - they are not KKOB's peacocks - why are people having a go at him about them!!!

Offline Stan

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 20:57:07 PM »
TimJohn , KKOB is on the animals side if that makes sense !

Offline peter16

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 20:59:09 PM »
Because they scan the comment and don't read the message :( :o.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf