Author Topic: Calis is Cheap !  (Read 11681 times)

Offline Diverbaz 1

Re: Calis is Cheap !
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
Nichola.Any cheap places to eat? In fact everyone any cheap places to eat and drink.? all advice welcome.

Eating was quite reasonable, it's the drinks that knock the price of a meal up.

Also it's like Calis of yesteryear with the hassle, of the "just come and look at my menu" type. A lot of places also do not sell alcohol, so if you want that drink with your meal ask before you sit down.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »
How much will a large Efes be in Calis in May next year ??  ???    ;)

Offline amca

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »
How much will a large Efes be in Calis in May next year ??  ???     ;)

It is said that the most accurate predictor of prices is a hotel mini-bar.
Look into one and you will see what will be the price of beverages in 10 years time.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »
How much will a large Efes be in Calis in May next year ??  ???      ;)

A very fair question GordonA. I would suggest that it will depend on the exchange rate at the time and I would be grateful if someone would tell me what that will be. :D

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 15:39:34 PM »
Anne, I wish I could name a few places for you but I just eat where ever really. In the Grand Bazaar there are some nice small (not posh touristy) places in the Turkmenistan area up behind the Post Office but some are really out of the way near some of my wholesalers and you wouldn't never know they are there.

Avoid places outside the front of the Bazaar we got cheated there and Doğan was furious. They tried to over charge us, same old story and there is a vile gözleme place on the right as you walk from the Bazaar back down towards Sultanahmet; packed with tourists, woman in windo making the pancakes, expensive and the most disgusting gözleme I have ever tasted.

A bit further down also on the right there is a place called Sultanahmet (before you get to MacDonalds) which serves traditional Turkish food which you can choose from the counter. I used to like it there because their house wine was quite nice and not many other places on that stretch serve alcohol.
There is one place I really like in the main street where all the hotels are in Sultanahmet. I like this area for night time if you can't be bothered to walk far and its always buzzing with loads of places to eat at various budgets. Not cheap as such but not expensive either called Albura Kathisma. I wrote a review on Tripadvisor 21Nov11.

Always check the menu and prices and always check the bill and query if necessary.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 16:02:57 PM »

There was one place recommended to us by Gorgeous Bird on here, Pierre Lotti (I think it was called) roof top restaurant, it's on the main road from the Blue Mosque to Cemberlitas tower there is also a mausoleum opposite, magnificent views, and I had a fantastic steak wrap for 19tl

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Calis is Cheap !
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 16:03:10 PM »
It's like Hong Kong here today being a Bayram public holiday, the streets and squares are jam packed with people and how someone isn't mown down by one of the trams as pavements funnel into single file walkways at many points is beyond me. The North Shield isn't representative of the city, in fact Istanbul is surprisingly good value in many of the places we have been today, the hop on / hop off bus tour was less than half the price we paid in both Paris & Barcelona, we took a 90 minute river cruise which was 20 lira each and really nice, fish half bread kebabs by the waterfront at 5 lira were delicious, a side street cafe almost opposite the North Star sells large draft efes for 6 lira and last night our hotel roof top restaurant meal overlooking the Bosphorus was not only delicious but also excellent value and compatible in price to the Yacht hotels in Fethiye.
The markets and street traders seem to be really good value, the one thing that I did notice is that everything has a price displayed, leather belts, shoes, scarves, slippers etc and all at what seemed to me to be far cheaper than in our markets.

Overall, Calis is still cheap by comparison but obviously that's expected against what must be one of the premiere visitor destinations in the World.

Anyway, just waiting to watch a free show here, about this time of night, the birds come flocking in to roost on the buildings and in the trees in Topkapi park, if you've ever seen Alfred Hitchcock's film, The Birds........ It's a sight to see. I really wish I had been available to take the DSLR camera course that Nichola arranged to capture the spectacle. Anyway, must go, here they come.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 16:08:27 PM »
George public transport is free during Bayram if I remember rightly although there are some places closed too like the Grand Bazaar!

Re the course no worries there are going to be opportunities that can be tailor made available next year to suit every one and I'll be posting about these soon.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 20:46:06 PM »
Alcohol prices may rise again if they don't earn the money they expected from the last round of increases it was recently reported in the Turkish press...

Offline cheers

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 20:51:50 PM »
I remember my first visit to Turkey 18 years ago and used to go to the local shop for my fags.  Every day we saw the tax man going in and the owner with his head in his hands said 'Taxes go up again tomorrow'!  Was the old money then and it was like 1 old penny over a week  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf