Author Topic: Summary of the New Law - on Resident Permits w/e April 2014  (Read 40574 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: Summary of the New Law - on Resident Permits w/e April 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
I have dropped the Consulate a note and will post when they answer

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »
Anyone care to give a synopsis ?    ;)

Hers what I posted somewhere else:

The problem, as I see it, is that what they are effectively doing is getting rid of the 1 year + RPs and replacing them with two very different types of RP - and I'm looking at it from the perspective of many on here who are either retired or have holiday homes they use frequently.

For those in that category who have not "been residing in Turkey legally and interruptedly for 8 years with valid residence permit" then they are only eligible for the Short Term RP under the following criteria from the translated document:

b) Those foreigners who owns immovable property in Turkey.

e) Those foreigners coming to Turkey for tourist purposes.

On the basis that a RP may be cancelled if you are outside TR for more that 4 months, this could present problems for those who use holiday homes for a few weeks/months solely during the summer months.

For longer term residents it means yearly applications - I'm assuming they can do it locally without having to leave the country, although the only provision mentioned for this would appear to be the transition from current RP to new style:

Only in following exceptional cases, residence permit application can be made within Turkey through relevant governorships...

...(ii) In the circumstances when the departure of foreigner from Turkey is not reasonable and possible...

...(viii) Residence permit applications made for new purposes of stay upon disappearing of cause for granting current residence permits.

Maybe they'll allow it under (ii)?

Thats my reading of it, have I got it wrong and am missing something obvious for current RP holders?

JF

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24:32 AM »
Do you think that those who took out 5 year residency in the past 18 months will have those cancelled or will they be able to run their course?

Offline amca

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
First thoughts
1. Topic title refers to w/e April 2014 ....... is this a typo? if not, what is the significance of that date?
2. When are the new rules going to be implemented?

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
This was only published on 25 March and still reflects the existing rules on the residency link :-

https://www.gov.uk/living-in-turkey#entry-and-residency-requirements-in-turkey

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
First thoughts
1. Topic title refers to w/e April 2014 ....... is this a typo? if not, what is the significance of that date?
2. When are the new rules going to be implemented?

You've kinda answered your first question by asking the second - yes, April 2014 is when the new law kicks in.

I doubt it will in its current format - I suspect there will be amendments as a result of representation from a few countries, hopefully the UK will be one of them.

JF

Offline amca

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
Thanks JohnF.
Now I can give some second thoughts to the content.

Offline daveG

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 17:05:06 PM »
Ian our circumstances are like yours and it would appear that on taking out residency we should have been aware that "we would be damned if we did and damned if we did,nt"!!

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 17:20:06 PM »
Hopefully they will allow them to run and honour them but I am not holding my breath!

I must admit that all the confusion around 14 months ago when we dashed in good faith to take out SGK after previously taking out a 5 year residency in order to spend 7 or 8 months a year in Turkey in our retirement over a 5 year period after also trading up (property) in value terms at the same time is making me consider for the first time ever "have we done the right thing?"

I am a meticulous planner and this approach has served me well in life - but it seems almost impossible for me to do so effectively in Turkey.

I am having to spend more time amending my spreadsheets than I am around the pool    ;)

The word Spain was uttered today for the first time ever in conversation but I think it was just a temporary lapse     :)

Offline Marggie

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 07:21:56 AM »
A 180/360 day visa would enable many people who are not resident to spend extended periods here.  People would still have to leave Turkey for six months but their time here would be more flexible

Having completed our first year of residency, we are now eligible for SGK.  It is great for people who live here permanently but as we split our time between Turkey and the UK we do not want to get tied up in it as it would appear, that once part of it, the only way out of it is death.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf