Author Topic: inserting Turkish Sim into unlocked phone: does it work without registering?  (Read 3609 times)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
I'm coming to Dalaman late on Sat 4 May. Is there a shop at airport where I can purchase a Turkish sim card to swap with the UK one in my unlocked v. basic pay as you go Nokia - without going thro all the palaver of registering? I'd like to be able to use this 'local' phone to make local calls in Turkey. Can anyone help?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Yes.

No.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Arty the phone will be blocked by the Turkish phone company within a couple of weeks.
It costs about 110tl to register a phone.
I personally would go and buy the cheapest phone you can and they will register it in the shop for you. You dont pay the 110tl then.
You used to need your passport to register your phone as well.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
B, annoying thing is - the time taken to go to phone shop, buying - registering with passport - have done this previously but can never use the phone again on return trips to Turkey because the time lapses over 6 months and the sim no longer works. If a Turkish sim card is cheap and I can pick one up at Dalaman airport on arrival, I don't care if it is stopped after a few weeks, as long as I can use it over the coming week. Do you think this is possible?

Offline quackers

Have u been to the phone shop and asked them to open your old Turkısh phone so u can use ıt? I thınk you only have to put 10tl of contours on to make ıt lıve agaın. I also belıeve you can use you Turkısh phone ın Uk on roamıng. If you put enough money on your phone and send 1 text a week to someone over here ıt wıll remaın lıve tıll you return. Someone correct me ıf I am wrong.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Not sure if all the info is there in your post, so.

You have an old Turkish phone, old Turkish Sim in the phone, just put credit on the phone and approx 1 hour later it is ready for use. Our friend came out last year after an 18 month lapse and was able to do this with his Avea sim in his very very old Turkish phone. no passport required.

You have a Turkish phone but no sim, you need your passport to purchase a sim card cost can be 30+lira but includes the credit/kontors

You have no Turkish phone, you buy a sim card (again cost of above) you need your passport, insert into you UK phone and it may stay open for 1 day or 2 weeks, you take that chance, you could be lucky. if it does last keep keep the sim, if you are intending to return later 6months, 1 year later why not go to any of the telephone shops and buy the cheapest 2nd hand phone they have, 40TL+ bog standard nothing special.

I registered online with Turkcell, I received the password, you have to be in Turkey to register, once done you can put the minimum of kontors on the phone when in the UK. make at least one call to any phone in the world during that time to keep alive.

I forgot my password once, so now I buy a 20TL kontor card (getting rare) leave the kontor card with a friend and when the time is right ask them to go online and add the kontor card scratch off number, a message will come through to your phone where ever in the world you are and it is all legal ready for the next time you step off the plane.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
Thanks very much, Q and I - for this comprehensive info!

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
I forgot to mention that if you have a Turkish bank account you can keep you phone alive back in the uk buy you kontors and use the phone once every 3 months, all credit saved to the phone will remain when returning to Turkey.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
Just back from Turkey. Phone now sorted - must just remember to follow your suggestion I, re topping up via Turkish lira account.
Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf