Author Topic: Retrospective Charges on Imported Goods?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Retrospective Charges on Imported Goods?
« on: April 20, 2014, 16:28:38 PM »
Our neighbour said today that he and his wife were talking to someone last night who has lived here 13 years and initially brought goods over in a container and paid the appropriate duty.

He has now received a demand from Customs - so large to be almost unbelievable - and the letter states that the original duty paid only covered the items for 2 or 3 years (I am not sure which) and the invoice is for each year since plus compound interest.

He went to the British Consul and was told "Customs are a law unto themselves" and is now going to see a lawyer.

My neighbour is no fool and would not be easily taken in but the whole story sounds horrendous if true - has anyone else heard of anything similar to this happening?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Retrospective Charges on Imported Goods?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 16:55:46 PM »
Yes. I can't remember exactly how it works but you have the choice of paying the full duty on import or a reduced amount and then further, annual amounts.

No doubt someone will be along later to enlighten us.

Offline hubblebubble

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 17:00:55 PM »
It sounds like your friend did a 'temporary import' - this meant the paperwork had to be re submitted regularly.
Even for those who tried to do this it was pretty difficult with law changes and customs not knowing what to do.
Doubtless your friend also had to pay an 'easement' to get his goods into the country which was divvied up at customs.
This i believe led to a lot of files being 'buried'.
 Unfortunately Izmir eventually had a new port director appointed and he seems to have made it his mission to close all these files and levy hefty fines and costs to regularise the imports to permanent status.
If your friends case has already been taken to court ( he might not necessarily know about it) he has very little time to appeal.
There is a substantial discount for paying quickly.

The consulate tried to assist when these first started coming to light as they had good relations with the old port director, unfortunately the new one would not play ball.

i wish your friend luck but in all honesty i dont think he will have much choice but to pay up and do so within the hefty discount period, he will need a port agent again to complete the paperwork also - his original importers should help him there.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 17:17:50 PM »
The above two posters are correct, it sounds like they did a temporary import - this was the most common way of doing things away back in the day. 

The important thing is not delay contacting them, any figure levied is always open to negotiation.

There should be some info on here about it but when I tried searching I couldn't find any.  I'm having a look at revising how the search facility indexes content as some of the earlier forum content can be useful in cases like this.

JF

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 19:59:22 PM »
Here's a old thread with some information relating to imports.

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6032.msg11874#msg11874

JF

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 20:09:31 PM »
Amazing - thanks for the replies - it just goes to show the knowledge that we collectively have on this forum - I would never have expected such detail.

The person concerned is not known to me but our neighbour was telling us the story and if I say the fine quoted was in excess of 6 figures and that is in sterling terms then clearly there is a "shock and awe" approach being taken by Customs - but I cannot imagine how the people feel when confronted with this after living here for 13 years.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 21:01:23 PM »
How to encourage smuggling too.

Ridiculous!

Offline jackstee

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »
Ok
So I ave a container to bring out. (Not from uk) To which port and suestions for clearing agents please.

No electric stuff that I can remember

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
Izmir is the nearest main container port to Fethiye. Then it's usually up to you to arrange onward shipment of your goods to the final destination and also for it's unloading there.

I'd suggest you contact Sumerman's in Istanbul through their website at http://www.sumerman.com/ and ask them for a door-to-door quote via Izmir including an estimate of the cost of clearance and duty payable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf