Author Topic: Like going back in the past or watching Crocodile Dundee or Elf.  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
We were in the Erasta Shopping Centre on the first floor up and walked over to the escalator to go down. There was a crowd of people at the escalator and we though there had been an accident.
In the front of the queue to use the escalator were about 10 Turkish people all dressed in village type clothing.  They were all trying to use the escalator but the first woman put her foot on and jumped back, so did the others. Then two of them jumped on.  The rest still stood there, eventually most got on, all but but for two who struggled to get back through the crowds and away from the escalator.  However, we noticed the folk that got on were really enjoying the trip down and as soon as they got down, they went to the other escalator to come back up.   As we came down and walked to the exit, we noted all these people having a great time going up and down.
This got us talking and we were trying to remember when we first got on an escalator.  I suppose the first time must be scary.  We also were saying we cannot recall anywhere else in Fethiye with an escalator. So chances are these people had never seen one before. 
This is a different and very refreshining world to see people so excited about something we take for granted. 
Not sure when the escalator was invented, must look it up on the net.   :)

Offline jondo

Re: Like going back in the past or watching Crocodile Dundee or Elf.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:02:51 PM »
Sounds like they (nearly) all had a ball! Who doesn't like a ride on an escalator, or on a travellator? Most of them will get used to using one but, just like back in the UK, there will always be some who lack confidence or don't get the timing issues right! It can be quite entertaining watching those who are unsure! Oddly enough I've never actually seen anyone, who hasn't got the knack, get hurt since there's often a helping hand arrives in the nick of time!

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:50:52 PM »
Lisa is petrified of them, if i can eventually get her one she is so relived when she gets to the other end that she just stops. you can see how this might cause a problem!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 13:27:39 PM »
Perhaps they were worried about some of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN37Px9kyKU

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf