Author Topic: Thanks for the Messages  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Thanks for the Messages
« on: October 22, 2017, 23:03:35 PM »
Thanks for all the PMs and emails supporting CBF and pleading for us to carry on. I was on hols and didn't reply to any of them, it doesn't mean I don't care or have fallen out with any of you. I have no desire to see it go but I am not desperate to keep it going and certainly don't want it to end up like some forums with the administrator posting every morning and nobody else comes. If we die we die while we are still twitching    ;)

Facebook is threatening our very existence - people who discovered Calis because of CBF, or made great friends because of CBF, or found their dream home because of CBF don't even come here anymore - they forget what we managed to introduce into their lives which is still highly relevant to them today, but they don't support us anymore. And that hurts.

I am as guilty as anyone (and I own the bloody place!) - I take a photo on holiday in Calis and stick it on Facebook, often forgetting to put it on CBF. As I said many times, this is fine if you want an internet in 10 years time which is made up almost exclusively of Google, Amazon and Facebook owned sites - that is a real prospect to me. Independent sites like CBF need support if you want us to support local causes and allow people a voice when wronged - these FB groups are fine, but once someone posts about being ripped off or assaulted they don't want the responsibility and hit the delete button - we are seasoned campaigners and out the wrong uns. How much have Facebook raised for local kids and animals? F all...and never will...

I accept we are caustic, sarcastic and even rude sometimes :o - but you can fight your corner without fear of being muted or deleted. CBF isn't for pussies I accept that so if you don't like strong debate on serious issues please go wrap yourself in cotton wool and don't feel obliged to ever return to our forum. It's for grown ups. If you want to leave just leave, no need to announce you are flouncing out the door.

Thanks for your support - let's see where we go. But simple as this - if you post details of events (upcoming and ones you have been to), post details of what you have been up to in town, post photos and information, you will keep us going.

Above all, try and help new members and keep your sarcasm for us old hands  :D

Offline Bluwise

Re: Thanks for the Messages
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
So very well summarised Scunner - just what I was going to say  ;D
I particularly agree with the last line - don't hit the "sarky-arse reply button" until the new person has reached at least 20 posts!

One big difference I see between FB and CBF is that if you ask a question on FB you can get a load  of old tosh in reply from people who are just guessing and very few are called to account for wrong info.  On here, you can be pretty sure it's right because "old tosh" is called out straight away!  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
"old tosh" is called out straight away!    ;)
Speaking on behalf of Tosh (who doesn't often post) I find this comment both ageist and anti-Scottish!  :  :)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:52:47 AM »
 Sorry, you're over the required 20 posts.   :-*

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
As a considerable poster back in the very early days of CBF (Who remembers when we little CBF pin badges?....still got mine)   I have found that since very reluctantly having to leave Turkey to go back to the UK my information is now so out of date it is not a question of not being bothered to post but not having anything constructive to say and I won't join in nit picking.  So sorry if my absence hurts but still regularly read what is going on and still up to now have managed to get the odd month in the country where my heart still is.  My best wishes to "All who sail in her" and Keep up the Good work!

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »
Hi Scunner

I am still not able to post/reply in all sections,  just tried to reply to the trying from seed post in gardening section & only have option to notify ?

Any ideas ?

Lee

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »
As a considerable poster back in the very early days of CBF (Who remembers when we had little CBF pin badges?....still got mine)   I have found that since very reluctantly having to leave Turkey to go back to the UK my information is now so out of date it is not a question of not being bothered to post but not having anything constructive to say and I won't join in nit picking.  So sorry if my absence hurts but still regularly read what is going on and still up to now have managed to get the odd month in the country where my heart still is.  My best wishes to "All who sail in her" and Keep up the Good work!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 12:16:36 PM »
Hi Scunner

I am still not able to post/reply in all sections,  just tried to reply to the trying from seed post in gardening section & only have option to notify ?

Any ideas ?

Lee

*Scunner checks to see if pompeylee has more than 20 posts before replying...

I'm opening them when I get a chance, each one needs opening individually Lee - gardening one back up

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
Thanks

Lee

Offline saoirse

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 14:28:01 PM »
Scunner

Am very much a casual poster as have now moved away from Turkey but love to keep tabs on what's happening there. Also have link with that great country because I am active on another Turkish forum and was happy/duty bound to point out on that forum the excellent advice help encouragement assistance and solace given by CBF over the years to those of us privileged to live specifically in the Calis/Fethiye/Uzumlu region

Good luck to you sir-will even stand you a good fry up on your next Beal Feirste visit

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf