Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 79174 times)

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
Re: Brexit
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »
The way the EU is treating the UK suggests there will be no deal. Let's see how the remoaners laugh at that.

I don't get that at all. Perhaps you could explain why you feel somehow bullied.The EU's negotiating position has been crystal clear from the start. They even posted this image (below) in December last year to help explain it to Primary School children and UK Cabinet Ministers. Which relationship with the EU would you like?

I think at least the Primary School children understand the situation now. The Cabinet, however is unfortunately still struggling to grasp the concept of the Backstop agreement that they already signed up to.

P.S. Calling remainers "remoaners" is is just so old and really, really pathetic.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »
There has been peace in Ireland for decades now.
If there is a no deal exit, there’ll have to be a hard border between the Republic  and Northern Ireland, stretching some 310 miles from coast to coast
Without this border, we would be unable to trade under WTO rules, with anyone.
The likelihood is that the troubles would start again in earnest, rising the lives of civilians and our armed forces once again.
That what you want?

Offline villain

« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
A bit sweary, but good

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfxSEdUtFk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfxSEdUtFk</a>

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2018, 16:51:00 PM »
Perhaps you could explain why you feel somehow bullied.

Where did I say the EU is bullying the UK? I am sure even primary school children would agree I did not state there was any bullying.

Offline villain

« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2018, 00:24:11 AM »
The way the EU is treating the UK...

OK. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick, but perhaps you could expand on this? In what way is the EU treating the UK exactly?

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2018, 15:29:12 PM »
We voted to leave the EU but the EU is making the demands on the withdrawal process. Barnier refuses every option put forward by UK.
Why do we let EU control the withdrawal process?.

Tusk mocks the UK and May. You may not like her but she represents us to the world.
Why do we accept an unelected,by population, minister to mock us as if we are second class?

We need to take control. Barnier is no longer favourite to replace Juncker. Germany,France,Spain and Italy in particular will not want a no deal brexit. They need to export to the UK more than the UK needs to export to them. Eu needs our contributions. Why stay linked to EU paying more each year but having no input into their descisıons?
 Time to leave.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2018, 19:53:25 PM »
The EU is not making demands. It is the UK that is making demands. The UK is leaving the club. The EU has been totally consistent from the outset. It is the UK that even at this stage that has not stated what it wants. We had the bulls**t of Johnson with we will have our cake and eat it. Rees Mogg and his fantasies. David Davis who spent 2 years negotiating with the EU and his suggestion is leave and negotiate free trade with each EU country. Poor little Englanders are throwing their toys out of their prams, crying and complaining that Barnier will not give us what we want. Get rid of Johnson and then appoint Hunt who has compared the EU to being like the Soviet Union during the cold war. Many counties in the EU are former satellites of the USSR and are greatly offended by the comparison. The EU has not taken thousands of Latvians as prisoners or killed them. The Latvian ambassador has been very vocal in her response to Hunt's statement by saying that joining the EU has brought growth and prosperity to her country. The British papers have not been slow in insulting EU leaders.

The backstop was agreed in writing by May nearly a year and because she cannot and will not stand up to the bully boys in the Tory party she has changed what she agreed. How can anyone negotiate with someone who agrees a policy, goes back to London and then wants to change it because the fanatics in the Tory party will not accept it.. There is this stupid belief that they need to export to the UK more than the UK export to the EU. What utter nonsence and total leavers bull.UK accounts for about 5% of EU exports. EU accounts for 44% of UK exports. Yes, it will cause discomfort in the EU  but it will be small in comparison what will be  the impact in the UK. It is a well documented fact that inward investment in the UK has seriously tailed off in the past 18 months and mostly due to Brexit uncertainty. 82% of cars assembled in the UK last month went to the EU. It will not be long before investment in new car models will lead to a movement of production into the EU. Scottish fishermen who were pro Brexit are not happy because they no longer will be able to land their catches in the EU without major inconvenience. Funny really that the fishermen have blamed the EU for everything. Most of the catch finishes up in the EU. Also it was not the EU but the British government who sold off fishing licenses to big firing fishing companies.

The recent technical papers issued by the government has put the potential impact of a no deal into perspective.

I hear so much about control of money, control of borders and democracy. The £350m is gone. On the one hand the UK is saying they will not put a hard border in Ireland and they will trade under WTO rules. Alas without a border WTO trading is not possible. On democracy what about the rights of the Scots? They did not vote to leave the EU. Equally in 1921, the UK showed little respect for Ireland when it an artificial border was installed  when at least 80% of the population supported a full break from  from the UK. I could go on about the Good Friday Agreement and its importance. I will keep it for another day?

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2018, 21:35:20 PM »
If the Eu are not making demands then we should just leave with no deal but EU wants UK contributions. They want to cherry-pick and have their cake and eat it.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2018, 22:10:54 PM »
Absolute rubbish. The UK needs a deal more than the EU. It is the UK wants to cherry pick. Want frictionless trade without being a member of the club and not complying with the club rules. I wish these people who make such comments read unbiased papers and not take everything the rags like the mail and express spout out. To the EU the single market is sacrosanct. It is not perfect but it is by far the biggest frictionless trading block in the world. It ensures goods can travel through 28 borders without interference. This also ensures maximum cost savings to suppliers and consumers. This is what British business wants to retain. The single market ensures that supplies are available immediately. It ensures that companies like Nissan do not to tie capital up in holding unnecessary excess stocks. It i
ensures a continuous supply and not having parts spending days/ weeks stuck in ports or stack parked on the motorway. No deal will ensure that exports will attract tariffs and pages of customs documentation. The government technical papers have highlighted that UK produced cars may not be sold in the EU because they will not have the appropriate certificates. Any company selling into the EU may have to adopt a two tier production. One ensuring compliance with EU regs and the other complying with UK regs.

One of the greatest supporters and probably the pushiest person supporting the establishment of the single market was Thatcher.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2018, 22:16:21 PM »
On the question of contributions the UK is legally bound to honour it's committments to the end of this budget cycle plus contribute towards British costs. Who do you think should pay Farages pension of 70 grand a year from being an MEP. Also all the British civil servants working within the EU.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf