Author Topic: Buy in Calis ?  (Read 5111 times)

Offline davidchild

Buy in Calis ?
« on: May 18, 2010, 13:38:56 PM »
Hi

My name is David. Following a trip earlier this week to Turkey my girlfriend and i are thinking about buying a villa in Calis. We looked at Kalcan but it seems too far away and its hilly; its also got lots of building work and road construction going on.

We have seen a Villa (new build ) and wanted to try and get a view from current UK owners as to whether they were pleased with their decisions to buy in Calis and what the main attractions were? Also are there any pitfalls re the area generally ( ie is it as built up and commercial as Hisoranu or similar spelling?)    

We are told that £135K for a 3 bedroom and 3 bathroom detached villa with a pool ( but without a sea view) is about the right price.

Your views would be really welcome and valuable.

Thankyou

David and Helen

Offline littlereddevil

Buy in Calis ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 14:00:02 PM »
When it comes to price how long is a piece of string?
It really varies greatly on the area, build quality, what's included etc.
As for attraction that also depends on what you are looking for,ie a holiday home or somewhere to retire to?
People buy for all sorts of reasons. We personnaly have bought ( in Fethiye ) as a holiday home with plans to come out for much longer periods when OH retires.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
Buy in Calis ?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 14:39:55 PM »
Hi David we bought our first place 6 years ago, when we decided we wanted to live here for a while we bought a villa, we have no regrets at all, once you get used to the concept of Turkish time, and very few people doing a job right in the first place, it is a great place to live. There are some very good deals on the market at the moment.
Please if you decide to buy use a reputable estate agent. Cenk and Olga at www.Interturkestates.com come very highly recommended on this forum.
Good Luck
Mark

Offline dycedon

Buy in Calis ?
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 15:03:50 PM »
David we have had a place for 4 years, we use it as a holiday home but will spend a lot more time out there when retirement comes along, not a lot of pitfalls but would insist that you use a lawyer for purchase etc. as Mark sais there are a lot of good deals on the market at the moment, another estate agent is Assured Properties, www.assuredestate.com  worth having a look, another is sunmed properties, good luck on whatever you decide.

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
Buy in Calis ?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 15:51:09 PM »
Hi Dave I am sure you will get a lot of advice from forum members we have had our apartment nearly 3 years now, we bought of plan and it took nearly 10 months to build, we are very happy with it and one day hope to retire here.
a few words of advice,
Always use a reputable estate agent we used Cenk and Olga and have had no problems whatsoever.
Always use a solicitor we used Ozlen she speaks very good English and is recommended on the forum.
Always research the builder, area, type of house or apartment.  
Visit the area on more than one occasion and at different times of the year (make sure it's not just a holiday romance).
When budgeting don't factor on rental income as it's not as lucrative as you may think.  
When furnishing your property come to a figure and then double it or don't let the girlfriend get involved LOL.
The only down side for me is that we did not buy a villa and we are reliant on other owners for the likes of maintenance also if we retire here it will be a bit small. :)

Offline hillg1968

Buy in Calis ?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 19:50:38 PM »
Hi David,

We also used Cenk and Olga and would highly recommend them and would echo the thoughts on using a solicitor and getting to know the area before you buy.
We bought off plan on our first visit to Calis so didn't really take the last piece of advice ourselves :D but are very happy with our apartment and love the area and the people and had alot of advice from the forum regarding the buying process and estate agent with regard to follow up photo's of the build in process.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Gav

Offline julesbob0303

Buy in Calis ?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 22:25:55 PM »
Hi David, we used Mete from Golden Moon (just over the wooden bridge, near the sea front).  Can't praise him or his staff enough.  They were superb, and still are, almost three years on.  He recommended a good builder, and we have had very few problems.  We had the tapu within three months.

We bought an apartment that was almost finished when we first viewed it, and collected the keys a couple of months later.  It's quite a big apartment (3/4 bedrooms) but a villa would have been better, as, like others have said, you can avoid any clashes etc with other owners.  Saying that, we have some lovely neighbours, who we now class as friends and look forward to seeing each time we holiday.

We love our place and wish we could be there more often than the 8 weeks or so that we're able to visit each year.

Lots of good advice on the forum, but definitely get to know the area before you buy.  Good luck!   :)

Offline barry44544

Buy in Calis ?
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 22:54:07 PM »
Hi David, I hope you enjoy your buying experience. I have had property in this area for 12 years and have lived here for 7 years.
I have seen many people make many mistakes in the buying of property in Turkey.
The very best piece of advice anyone can give is....
Before engaging an estate agent, find the best independent  English speaking lawyer you can find
and make sure you follow their advice.
Good luck with your property search.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Buy in Calis ?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:43:30 AM »
Hi David, We bought a Villa in Calis five years ago and we could not be happier, love the place, love the people and always hate leaving at the end of each holiday.
However, you should be warned that once you come to Calis you will get the bug
for the place. Most of us on this Forum  know the symtoms and now are all hopeless addicts. There is no cure, the only treatment is yearly visits.
If you want to get an idea of prices there is a section of this Forum
"Risk free property purchases in Turkey"  there are lots of pictures and prices.
Good Luck.
Jacqui.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Buy in Calis ?
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
We bought 7 years ago and it has been a bit of a roller coaster. Love the place and the area but remember unless you intend to move out there that you are a long way from your 'investment'. If you do buy I suggest you employ a good management company to look after your place whilst you are in the UK.

If you intend (or need) to rent out the house to help pay for a loan then also remember that you now have the Turkish tax man breathing down your neck. In short there is very little chance of renting out without paying tax. It's also a fairly short season compared to other countries - 5 months roughly I would say.

For £135k I would expect a 3 bed house to be top end of the market in Calis. You are in the driving seat if you are prepared to pay that amount and I would have a good luck at lots of websites to work out what you can get for that sort of money. If you want risk free then look at Assured Estates when you come to buy although I understand there are some excellent agents already mentioned in this thread.

Good luck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf