Author Topic: advice on parcel carrier required.  (Read 1302 times)

Offline SteveJ

advice on parcel carrier required.
« on: August 24, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »
I want to send over a roll of non-slip flooring to have it installed in our bathroom to cover the extremely slippery floor tiles so that our disabled daughter doesn't spend so much time on her ar*e  :). I can't get the colour that we want in Turkey so I've had to get it from here. The roll measures 2m by 25cm in diameter and weighs 25kg. I've tried a few of the major parcel delivery companies(Parcelforce International, UPS and DHL) but they all tell me that the maximum length for a parcel is 1.05m.  I can't cut the flooring in half because the supplier doesn't recommned having a join in wet areas. Does anyone know of carrier who would be able to get this across for me? Failing that would I be able to bring it over on the plane (flying with Easyjet from Manchester on 12th September) and pay excess baggage? That would be expensive at £8 per Kg but it's got to come over one way or another!

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
If you know anyone with a surf board bag ,isuppose you could try it as sports goods  ;).What have you to loose????? 8)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:28:31 PM by calvin 1949 »

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:44:25 PM »

Did the carriers give you a price, a friend wanted to send a box weighing 16kg from here to the UK, she was quoted 437TL, the box is still here, it would be cheaper as excess baggage.

Baz 8)

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »
I may have found one. Parcel-Link say that they will take it overland for me (delivery time 6 days). The cost will be £107 which I'm ok with.

Offline jsp51

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 13:05:47 PM »
Steve, just do as we do, stick it under your arm and just check it in with your baggage allowance.
Check with the airline first as different airlines have different limits to the maximum weight of a package.
I know TC and onur have a limit of 30kgs for a package, but Thompsons (first choice) their limit is 25kgs.
remember your baggage allowance is combined weight so if one parcel is over the others can be under and no charge should be levied as long as combined weight is not exceeded.
It may also be cheaper if your combined weight is exceeded to pay the excess rather that paying £100+ depending on how much you are over.

Offline jsp51

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 13:08:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by calvin 1949

If you know anyone with a surf board bag ,isuppose you could try it as sports goods  ;).What have you to loose????? 8)

Probably your life if you try surfing on a roll of lino!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 14:27:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by SteveJ

I may have found one. Parcel-Link say that they will take it overland for me (delivery time 6 days). The cost will be £107 which I'm ok with.

Don't do it. It'll all end in tears and probably lino-less !

Bring it or send it with someone as excess baggage.

Offline chewyturk

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 15:01:14 PM »
Pay for an extra baggage allowance when you buy your tickets - it's much cheaper than paying at check-in.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf