Author Topic: Presidential Election 2018  (Read 12440 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Presidential Election 2018
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 12:45:03 PM »
Well I just hope the bars are open     ;)
Not officially: not while the polls are open. I expect it will be like Wales on Sundays when the country was "dry"; front doors closed, back doors open (for those in the know).

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
Interesting read from Serkan Demirtaş in the HDN today.

"Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahçeli has recently been making some interesting but worrying statements.

One such statement was his demand from the Interior Ministry to probe the Fethullahist Terror Organization’s (FETÖ) link with more than 250,000 people who signed a petition to nominate iYi (Good) Party leader Meral Akşener as a candidate for the presidential elections.
"

Cracks beginning to appear in the MHP/AKP alliance perhaps, well worth a read:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/opinion/serkan-demirtas/mhp-stands-as-weakest-link-of-peoples-alliance-132040

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 11:27:21 AM »
Last week Bahceli was demanding the release of (patriotic) murderers. Here are two of them: "High-profile Turkish mafia leader Çakıcı ... currently in Bolu Prison, serving a sentence for instigating the murder of his ex-wife Nuriye Uğur Kılıç. He is also convicted of several crimes including organizing and leading a crime syndicate for the purpose of generating profit, instigating murder, instigating injury, and insulting President Erdoğan [and] "Kürşat Yılmaz was a member of Nationalist Youth Organization (ÜGD) before the 1980 coup. Extradited to Turkey in 1999, he has been since then in prison for instigating the murder of former Kuşadası Mayor Lütfi Suyolcu".

“How just and fair is it to leave these brothers of ours rotting behind walls?” Bahçeli said.

Erdogan turned down this demand.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/president-erdogan-turns-down-mhp-leader-bahcelis-call-for-amnesty-131719

Offline yabanci

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 07:55:12 AM »
Read something this morning on the BBC web site which I think sums up how a lot of voters view the wee fella:

Cemal Civan, taking an Erdogan leaflet, reveres his president. "I remember the bad times here when we didn't have water. But he gave us the metro, hospitals and schools. Foreign powers are causing the economic problems - it's an international conspiracy."

Without access to anything other than pro government media, this guy believes the "international conspiracy" theory spouted by the AKP at every opportunity - and in some ways I think why shouldn't he?  Without an independent press how can folks get access to what's happening in their country.  Without an independent judicial system folks who do speak up face prison.

It used to make me angry, now it just makes me sad.

Ince or Aksener?  I don't care.  In fact I'd take a two headed goat with rampant halitosis and chronic flatulence ahead of the self serving current incumbent of the presidency.

JF

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 09:57:54 AM »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 09:36:55 AM »
Leaked videos from a closed AKP meeting shows Erdogan urging his followers to fix the polls in the general election, calling on them to get AKP majorities on ballot box monitoring committees so the can ensure the "result" before the voting actually takes place. Reminds me of Erdogan's chilling view of democracy: "democracy is like a train; you get off once you have reached your destination". Is 2018 the year Erdogan reaches his destination and abandons democracy?

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/leaked-video-showing-erdogan-calling-for-tight-marking-of-hdp-goes-viral-133305

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 15:37:50 PM »

I wonder if Erdogan is getting worried that he have "done a Teresa May" (calling a snap election and then losing it)? Not that he is likely to lose the presidency but the AKP may lose their parliamentary majority. He has now said he may try to construct a coalition if this happens. Who will play the role of his DUP? Surely not CHP or HDP and MHP isn't likely to have any MPs (because it fails the 10% rule); so that leaves Aksener and the Iyi Party. Would she get into bed with Erdogan (figuratively speaking) and what would she want for this? Erdogan and coalitions and compromises - that'll be entertaining to watch!

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/erdogan-says-may-seek-coalition-if-fails-to-get-majority-133568

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 15:46:52 PM »
I don't feel quite so involved with this election now I'm no longer working in Istanbul and ironically it may be the most (politically) interesting for years.

He's certainly making noises that suggest the AKP aren't confident of a majority and some commentators have suggested that ince may prove to be a bit of a surprise package.  Akseners support in the presidential race appears to waned recently, although her party is reckoned to be in a good position from a parliamentary perspective.

We'll soon find out...

JF

Offline davybill

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 18:30:05 PM »

I wonder if Erdogan is getting worried that he have "done a Teresa May" (calling a snap election and then losing it)? Not that he is likely to lose the presidency but the AKP may lose their parliamentary majority. He has now said he may try to construct a coalition if this happens. Who will play the role of his DUP? Surely not CHP or HDP and MHP isn't likely to have any MPs (because it fails the 10% rule); so that leaves Aksener and the Iyi Party. Would she get into bed with Erdogan (figuratively speaking) and what would she want for this? Erdogan and coalitions and compromises - that'll be entertaining to watch!

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/erdogan-says-may-seek-coalition-if-fails-to-get-majority-133568
She certainly wouldnt get in to bed with Corbyn! 😁😁😎

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf