Author Topic: Calling all "techies" - wiping data from iPhone  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Bluwise

Calling all "techies" - wiping data from iPhone
« on: September 24, 2017, 20:58:17 PM »
I bought a new iPhone and used iTunes to transfer all my data and settings from my old iPhone which worked great. ( I didn't used iCloud as I had read it was slow and didn't always transfer passwords etc.)
I now have both phones linked to my laptop (and each other somehow) so all my photos, emails etc go to both devices showing as "sue's iPhone" - nothing to differentiate them that I can see.
I want to wipe my old iPhone before giving it to my granddaughter and the instructions for wiping are telling me to remove the sim,  sign out of iCloud and all apps before restoring factory settings.  I'm sure it said to delete the iCloud account too????
What I'm worried about is how to make sure nothing changes on my new phone if I start deleting stuff on my old phone.  I can't remember half my passwords or settings and don't want to mess it up - the fact that both phones seem to have the same icloud/itunes ID worries me.  Any advice please? 

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Calling all "techies" - wiping data from iPhone
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 21:04:08 PM »
Pass bluwise   :)  :)  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 21:10:57 PM »
Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase all contents and settings

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 21:55:26 PM »
Thanks Scunner - so I don't have to sign out of stuff first etc and it won't affect iCloud accounts - oh, and do I take the sim out first?
(I think it was macworld I looked at and it was so complicated!)
What I don't get is that if I delete a photo or email etc on one phone or laptop now, it goes from them all so if I zap my contents as above, won't they go from all the others too?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 22:36:46 PM »
No if you do a back up in iTunes and save everything you can erase the phone and it will be safe - you can restore that backup to a new phone later. I don't understand why you would take the sim out though. Any numbers saved to sim will still be there after a full erase as the sim is not part of the erasing. But you can delete numbers if you want to later.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:36:46 AM »
Thanks again.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 18:24:48 PM »
I did just that when my son gave me his last Iphone. Backed up my old Iphone first on itunes, erased all contents and settings - then restored my back up on his old phone.

Worked a treat.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 19:37:00 PM »
It's the fact they are all linked via iCloud that is worrying. If you delete from one it goes from them all i.e. emails, photos.
I have turned off iCloud drive on the old phone and removed it from the list in iCloud so just trying to pluck up courage to zap it now.
Think I'll do another back up to iTunes with my new one first.... belt and braces  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf