Author Topic: A T.V. programme to watch that will be in our area of Turkey  (Read 9700 times)

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
Re: A T.V. programme to watch that will be in our area of Turkey
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »
It's being repeated tonight if anyone missed it

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
I watched it and found it to be a well - presented, informative and unbiased programme.

Simon Reeve is a personable young man with a seemingly genuine interest in exploring the "real" Turkey without having  a pre - determined opinion.

Brave chap, too. He went to the border area with Syria where the refugee camps have been provided by the Turkish government.

Watching missiles being fired from apparently close quarters whilst children played happily inside the camp was pretty mind boggling.

I was impressed with the whole, fascinating programme and look forward to the next.

Offline davybill

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 13:44:47 PM »
Yes it  was a very good report, series 2 next week.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 13:46:35 PM »
Was Fethiye shown?

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 14:20:44 PM »
Fethiye wasn't shown in specific detail. The whole "Turquoise Coast" was covered with particular reference to the importance of Turkish tourism to the economy and how its demise was seriously affecting the Government's coffers.

It compared the diminishing foreign tourist trade to showing how some enterprising hoteliers are investing vast amounts in providing accommodation for (wealthy) Muslims in luxurious surroundings. Separate swimming areas for women where bikinis are allowed (totally screened off by a gigantic wall); mixed swimming where burkinis must be worn (I guess not by the men);no alcohol nor pork available, of course.

Well worth a watch - Strange posted that it's on again tonight and I will give it a repeat look.

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 14:26:55 PM »
Very informative! an eye opener,  It made me see the reasons why Erdogan has gained so much support, and made me think back when I first visited Turkey in the early 1990s when not only didn't you see many cars on the road ,  the ones you did see were nearly all old banger's. 

The changes made over the last 25 years have been massive looking back.  The program did leave you with an uneasy feel about the possible rise of religion to the detriment of secular values in the country.

Cant wait for the next episode.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 16:55:20 PM »
It's repeated at 11.15pm tonight on BBC2.

Offline Andrew H

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 17:10:11 PM »
I thought is was good but the press slated it saying "he blagged a night stay at hotel in Antalya costing £13000 per night. Yet he made a point of saying corporation did NOT pay a penny typical journalists!
Anyway the truth seems to be visitor numbers to Turkey  are really down and hotels that are doing well are catering for the Muslim population.
If you haven't seen it well worth watching.

Offline DianaJ

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 19:31:13 PM »
Thought it was really good was a tad disappointed wasn't more on Fethiye,  not like a programme about Turley not to feature the lagoon at Olu.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 06:45:43 AM »
Definitely worth watching. It really highlights the Islamification, the direction the countrys moving in and why RTE gets the votes that he does.
If I wasn't already living here and thinking about moving abroad I think I would have chosen a different country.
It shows a wealthy businessman in Istanbul with his stunning house and 12 Rolls Royces ( he thinks its 12)
On Twitter Turks were horrified this guy made it into the documentary as theyre embarrassed by him and try to hide him!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf