Author Topic: The damned united  (Read 2650 times)

Offline fletch

The damned united
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 21:58:49 PM »
Great film and a great insight to the life of a man that really was "The best manager England never had".

I drive past the City Ground every morning, it is a shame to see a once mighty and vibrant stadium in such a poor state of repair. I often try to imagine how things were when they were at the top of their game and how good the supporters felt as well.

Moving across the river for a moment, I was at pitch side at Meadow Lane this morning and admiring the ground improvements for the new season. Notts county celebrate 100 years playing at Meadow Lane this year and 2012 welcomes them to the grand old age of 150 years old, the worlds oldest football league club.  :)

Brian Clough a true gentleman.

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
The damned united
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 22:44:31 PM »
Both Dave Mackay and Johnny Giles sued the filmakers for inaccuracy.

Dave Mackay had already moved to Swindon Town when Clough left and was not involved in turning the players against Taylor and Clough as was depicted in the film. Also, Giles looked as tall as Wor Jackie Charlton!

It also implied that Clough never actually started managing Brighton but I'm sure he was in charge for approx 32 matches before he came up north.

I still thought it was a fantastic film and demonstrated why Clough should never have been appointed in the first place however once they did, they should have have held their nerve and stuck with him. At least for a season!

I was at the Charity Shield final when Messrs Keegan and Bremner did their part striptease!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The damned united
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 11:21:25 AM »
It shows that no manager can get a team to play for him if they simply don't want to. In full disagreement with the Leeds fans on here I do think that given time and a more positive backing from the players, Clough could have built a legacy at Leeds too. But that was never going to be allowed to happen.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
The damned united
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 17:08:35 PM »
But why would the players back him when he had slated them and told them to their faces they had won by cheating? Not the way to make friends and influence people. He was just an arrogant, abrasive person who thought he was untouchable. Both Derby and Leeds proved he wasn't.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The damned united
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 17:15:07 PM »
Players aren't employed to back people, they are paid to kick the ball around and score more goals than the other team. They put their own selfish feelings ahead of the results, which were quite appalling and to the players justifiable to make their point. That betrays the hard working loyal Leeds fans who had paid to watch that. Even Luton beat them at Elland Road, it must have been grim!

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
The damned united
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 21:03:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Even Luton beat them at Elland Road, it must have been grim!

Grimmer than grimmer!  ;)

The leeds players acted like prima donnas at the time, they were still being paid and happy to take the money whatever the rights and wrongs, they should have got on with the job at hand like every body else has to do in the workplace!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
The damned united
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 23:07:07 PM »
Can't agree guys. If you had a boss like that I'm pretty sure a strike might be appropriate.

Just because they are employed by the club doesn't mean they don't have brains and feelings. Clough got it wrong and paid the price. Leeds went on to the European Cup Final under Jimmy Armfield. Now there is a true gent!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The damned united
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 23:12:34 PM »
And Revie slowly disappeared down the plughole :D

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
The damned united
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 23:15:41 PM »
Revie left Leeds at the top of his game. We all know now what a poison chalice the England job is. I think he did well ditching it for the Arab cash. Left his wife and kids well provided for at least.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 23:16:11 PM by stoop »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The damned united
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 23:18:25 PM »
Well for certain it was a golden age for managers with character  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf