Author Topic: Man city v Arsenal  (Read 915 times)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Man city v Arsenal
« on: December 18, 2011, 18:41:53 PM »
Just watched a cracking game of football,good attacking football from both sides, then something really spoilt it for me, da-silva scored for city, good goal, that wasnt the bit that made me think. it was when the cameras picked out in the crowd a huge spanish flag with the man city badge on it,i couldnt beleive i was watching english premier league, so i then watched and counted how many english players were on the pitch today. answer 5 engish players from both teams and that is counting 3 subs for each team. i wonder if england were playing spain would them same supporters be waving the spanish flag or the english one. sad sad time for english football/:(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Man city v Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 19:30:37 PM »
Yes cracking game indeed, except for the result! Although both teams were made up of many nationalities, the game was still played at an English high tempo game.  Well at least Arsenal pushed it that way, though I suspect that Mancini(and his Italianised English side-kick Platt) would have preferred for his team to 'park the bus'.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Man city v Arsenal
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 22:18:12 PM »
It did hurt seeing Nasri and Toure playing for City. Arsenal seem to have become a feeder club for them. If the gossip is to be believed RVP will be playing for them next season.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Man city v Arsenal
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:10:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by usedbustickets

Yes cracking game indeed, except for the result! Although both teams were made up of many nationalities, the game was still played at an English high tempo game.  Well at least Arsenal pushed it that way, though I suspect that Mancini(and his Italianised English side-kick Platt) would have preferred for his team to 'park the bus'.

How can it be an english high tempo game Pete?, when theres no english on the pitch. sorry, 1 from arsenal and 4 from city, 28 players used. oh i forgot the 2 managers werent english either.:-\

Offline usedbustickets

Man city v Arsenal
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
I understand the point you are making about the absence of the English players, however, the pace and almost 'gung ho' attitude is typical of the English game over the years, making games competitive - even the David and Goliath challenges.  Rather than say the way the great game is played, and indeed controlled, in many foreign nations.[^]

Anyway when was this golden age of English football, free of foreigners?  I can't recall an English team that wasn't full of foreign players, be they Scot, Welsh or Irish!  Indeed many of the great English teams were managed by foreigners, Busby and Shankly come to mind
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:35:27 AM by usedbustickets »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Man city v Arsenal
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »
Revie's Leeds only had a handful of none English. Gilles, Bremner, Lorrimer, Gray . You could argue Sprake but Harvey was better. Revie was English too.

Harvey, Reeney, Cooper, Charlton, Hunter, Giles, Bremner, Lorrimer, Gray, Clarke, Jones.

That team still reals off the tongue  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:56:06 PM by stoop »

Offline usedbustickets

Man city v Arsenal
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »
Ah Stoop, but it still looks like half the team were non-Englishmen.  Whereas the better team of the same period, where the core of the squad included only one third non English players - Bob Wilson (Phoney Scot), Pat Rice (N.Ireland), Bob McNab, Frank McLintock (Scot), Peter Simpson, Peter Storey, George Graham (Scot), George Armstrong, Charlie George, Ray Kennedy, John Radford. Arsenal legends immortalised for their double winning season.:D:D[^][^]

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Man city v Arsenal
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »
4 out of 11 half? Not quite - lol

Offline usedbustickets

Man city v Arsenal
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 14:41:20 PM »
5 out of 11 when you include Sprake who was the number one choice throughout his time with Revie, which is a good half for me.  And then we could also make the case to include Terry Yorath (Wales) and Joe Jordan (Scot) into the Leeds mix.... but I won't

Lies, damned lies and Leeds United supporters selective memories ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Man city v Arsenal
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 16:06:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by usedbustickets

5 out of 11 when you include Sprake who was the number one choice throughout his time with Revie, which is a good half for me.  And then we could also make the case to include Terry Yorath (Wales) and Joe Jordan (Scot) into the Leeds mix.... but I won't

Lies, damned lies and Leeds United supporters selective memories ;)

Harvey was Scottish anyway :o- Well he played for them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf