Author Topic: funny old game football  (Read 1487 times)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
funny old game football
« on: February 26, 2012, 17:38:35 PM »
Have,nt heard anybody calling for Arsene Wengers head tonight, well not from north London anyhow ;)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
funny old game football
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 18:05:03 PM »
Oh sorry Des I didn't know we had to put these messages up on a regular basis.  Whilst I'll always delight at a win over the Spuds, you have to look at the recent record, and in the last four games against them they have beaten us three times.  Hardly a ringing endorsement of Wenger.

He is well past his sell by date at Arsenal, whatever the reason; he's gone stale; he's lost the plot; the rest of football management has not just caught him up but in many cases have overtaken him; lost the confidence of the team and especially the ticket buying supporters; so whatever the reason, or combination of reason he has to go.[:(!]

And if you want another good reason from this week why he should get shot of him, then look at the stupidity of letting Arshavin go (loan to sale) on Friday.  You don't let a top player leave the club to make them happy, when you do not need to, especially when you are short of real quality players.  This was another example of Wenger letting a player go, just because they want out, just like Fabregas, and when he does it, Wenger then let's them go cheap ... not the behaviour of a top manager [:(!]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 18:06:04 PM by usedbustickets »

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
funny old game football
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 19:14:17 PM »
so i take it your a spurs fan, im  only saying  what people are saying,crying for wengers head, in 15 years he has never finished outside the top four, the game in england has changed so much since a certain russian came in and bought 2 titles, spent 300 million to do it, and now man city will do it, tell me if you can where England will ever be, nothing since 1966, and every week i watch man city fans, chelsea fans, or whoever cheering the spanish, uruguays, africans, or whoever, and surporting an english club, what does this mean anymore, we go to a football match, and shout come on city, come on utd, come on you spurs or whoever and then finally realise the guys on the pitch who scored the goals are the ones who are going to stuff England in world competions.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
funny old game football
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 19:40:14 PM »
Just seen the goals and to come from behind against a very good spurs team would please me for sure.(If I was a Gooner  :))

Offline usedbustickets

funny old game football
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 20:57:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by desmartinson

so i take it your a spurs fan, im  only saying  what people are saying,crying for wengers head, in 15 years he has never finished outside the top four, the game in england has changed so much since a certain russian came in and bought 2 titles, spent 300 million to do it, and now man city will do it, tell me if you can where England will ever be, nothing since 1966, and every week i watch man city fans, chelsea fans, or whoever cheering the spanish, uruguays, africans, or whoever, and surporting an english club, what does this mean anymore, we go to a football match, and shout come on city, come on utd, come on you spurs or whoever and then finally realise the guys on the pitch who scored the goals are the ones who are going to stuff England in world competions.

Me a spud fan...not a chance.  I'm one of those loyal fans whose paid lots of money over the years to Arsenal football club, and until this season was a die hard supporter of Wenger, and that he deserves our support.  No longer. I know this is the case of a great and growing number of loyal gooners.  Supporters were very patient through the stadium move, but as each season has gone on since then Wenger has failed to deliver.  And the last three seasons have been groundhog day 1,2 and 3, as the team has collapsed in rapid succession from CL,FA and League Cup and then the league.  If I was to make the same mistakes three years in a row in my job I'd have been tin tacked, and unlike Wenger I'm not paid £135,000 a week plus bonuses!!

And Des when was this golden age of top English football being foreigner free, it has never been.  It's always been full of Scots, Welsh and Irish.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

funny old game football
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 23:22:31 PM »
I am still one of those loyal fans that continues to pay his money to watch Arsenal play. Arsene Wenger is not the reason for the lack of trophies. He has had to run the club on a shoestring and no other manager on the planet could have achieved what he has achieved.Arsenal is one of the few clubs in Europe that is run as a business that is a going concern. Most other clubs are technically bankrupt and are kept afloat by unacceptable levels of debt. Man City has a wage bill that is actually greater than the income it receives. Most of the Arsenal money has gone into building a new stadium which is now close to debt free.It would have been great if that 400 or 500 million went into new players.

Arsene has been very crafty in the transfer market. Most of the high profile players that have left have not really shown a great deal of loyalty to the club. Every year it was the usual are they or arent they going. Telling one journalist they are off and telling the next one they are staying. Nasri and Fagregas are two prime examples. Yes, Wenger should have had an alternative and he did not. This resulted in panic buying.

If a player does not want to play for the club you have very little option but to sell him. He will just run down his contract and go. Wenger has done well with the fees from the sale of players. Arshavin is no loss and the club will not have to pay his wages for the next few months.If Arsenal are willing to pay a player 80k a week and he knows there is a club out there that will pay 200k he will want to go. In most cases loyalty is a thing of the past.

The shake up needs to start at board level and work its way down from there. We hear this old rubbish every year that there is this big transfer chest and all Wenger seems to have is a couple of million at most.

If the answer to the problem was getting rid of Wenger would win us trophies I would be all for it.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
funny old game football
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:55:27 AM »
Spot on Gerry, saves me answering usedbustickets, he forgot to mention the emerites stadium which is the best in the country and needs paying for, and rather silly to refer to scots,irish, and welsh, im sure he knows what i mean by foreign players,scots irish and welsh can speak english and didnt get £250 grand a week to sit on the subs bench as most of man city,s do now.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
funny old game football
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »
"Scots, Irish and Welsh can speak English"

Are you including the simply wonderful Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish in the group ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:39:07 AM by Highlander »

Offline usedbustickets

funny old game football
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »
I thought I had made clear in my post I recognised the stadium rebuild period, it is the years since when we have moved to a stable financial position that Wenger has failed to deliver so badly.  I also know that there is some debate about how much is in the transfer kitty, but then Arsenal posted a profit last year of £53million, and I believe that included money spent on the 'panic buys' by Wenger last August - remember when he said he didn't need to buy any more players AFTER Fabregas and Nasri left the club.

The truth is that rather than have money available for transfers Wenger has blown the money on paying big money to average players - generally players who are his 'favourites'. Which is why we have a wage bill twice the size of Tottenham, and why we cannot transfer out, some of the average performers - Bendtner, Vela, Alminia et al - other than on loan with us paying most of the wages.  I could offer other examples, but the most recent was Johahn Dureo, how do you justify paying a fifth choice centre half £50,000 a week?  That's more than a number of the England squad players earn, and they are generally first choice in their clubs!

I could also go on about how players are developing under Wenger and Rice's tutelage.  Two good examples are Walcott and Ramsey.  The former because Wenger believes he should be a winger (who can't cross a ball)rather than a (natural) striker.  Ramsey has not progressed as much as he should have since coming to Arsenal, there are weaknesses in his game that can be improved by good coaching, but it does not happen you see the same issues week in, week out .. no one's fault but Wengers.

Do you want me to go on about his tactical failure in setting up his team to take on the opposition, we only play one way - beautiful as it is at times - some times you have to vary the game plan if you are going to win, or at least hold a lead.  Look at our poor ratio of goals of deadball opportunities to goals, no team has as many deadball chances as we do and fails to take advantage.

Don't get me started on about the defence not working as a unit, which was a significant contributor to our conceding two goals yesterday,again that demonstrates a (big) gap in Wenger/Rice coaching regime.

There's a number of other items I could draw on to support the case for outing Wenger, but OVP you are right the board has a lot to answer for too, in allowing things to get this way.  Then again we shouldn't be so surprised when we have a hands-off owner several thousands of miles away, whose interest is less in the results and more in how the bottom line looks. :-\

Offline usedbustickets

funny old game football
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

"Scots, Irish and Welsh can speak English"

Are you including the simply wonderful Kenneth Mathieson Dlaglish in the group ;)

Not forgetting the the 'english speaking' greats who graced the english game such as McKay, Jennings, Robertson (best winger I have ever seen), the sublime Liam Brady, and of course the Plastc Welshman Giggs :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf