Author Topic: england manager  (Read 1719 times)

Offline phil1839

england manager
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »
What your saying is that he struggles with teams consisting of overpaid prima donna's, that being the case he will struggle with England. Perhaps if Liverpool had given him more time, like Man. Utd gave Ferguson when they were struggling, things might have been different for his Liverpool tenure.  They might have wished they had kept him the week before last when we beat them at Anfield. If he takes the job we will have to wait and see what happens, Like I said I hope he doesn't take the job.  Also his CV includes 7 Swedish league titles and a league and cup double in Denmark, so he can't be all bad. Phil

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
england manager
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »
I think the FA are probably still a little worried about what skeletons are still in Harry's cupboard. He seems to attract controversy. He also looks like he's been found out a bit at Spurs over the last few months as the form is more relegation that top 4 since Xmas.

As for Hodgson - maybe he will get rid of the prima-donnas in the team and bring in some lads that think playing for their country is more important than sleeping with tarts.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
england manager
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 14:32:30 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by phil1839

What your saying is that he struggles with teams consisting of overpaid prima donna's, that being the case he will struggle with England.

Yes, that is what I am saying  :)

quote:
Originally posted by phil1839

Also his CV includes 7 Swedish league titles and a league and cup double in Denmark, so he can't be all bad.

I agree, I don't think he's "all bad", far from it. But his glories are not that great - his tenure as Switzerland boss coincided with their best group of players for decades and his Scandinavian glories could be argued were with the one team expected to win them anyway. The worry very much is that he does his best work taking failing  squads and improving their fortunes, not taking top teams and keeping them so.

I suppose if you think England are average and under achievers (which you could make a fairly good case for) he might be the man for the job :D - but I don't see him as a master tactician, especially when things aren't going well and he becomes less of a tactician and much more of a water bottle kicker - and the one thing Harry had was an ability to handle the press and keep them at arm's length. If there's one thing Woy can't do it's deal with an angry press meeting.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
england manager
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 15:28:18 PM »
England undoubtedly have a talented squad of players, including very, very good players in key positions and should therefore be a match for most teams.

It seems to me what they need is a manager who can plot their progress through a tournament.

Whether Hodgson is a shrewd enough tactician to be able to do that remains to be seen.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
england manager
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 15:48:56 PM »
He cant be that good, he's had too many jobs

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
england manager
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 17:09:08 PM »
Not my first choice but at least he is British.

Offline phil1839

england manager
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 18:01:01 PM »
I have to agree that the first choice for the job should have been Harry Rednapp and if Hodgson fails no doubt that will be what the press and supporters will come out with. But if he gets the job he needs everyone to get behind him, with the Championships starting in Five weeks it is going to
be difficult enough as it is. It would appear that he would have been more suited for the job as Scottish Manager. LOL Phil

Offline jonuzumlu

england manager
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 19:04:58 PM »
If the FA are worried about Harry courting controversy outside the game why not appoint an old hand as assistant manager. Might I suggest Harry and El Tel as the dream team. ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
england manager
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 19:23:12 PM »
A dream team indeed.

Both of course were not found guilty of course but one was involved in a tax avoidance case and the another faced a fraud enquiry.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
england manager
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 19:28:26 PM »
Every top manager should have his day. El Tel's was a very long time ago and best left that way.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf