Author Topic: Arsene Wenger  (Read 2790 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Arsene Wenger
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
Because you have just answered it yourself Tink, Chelsea, no league title for 40 years, in comes a russian billionaire and 2 league titles in sucsession, not rocket science is it.   ;)

True Des! Think back to the last time the top league was won by a team not throwing bucket loads of cash at it. Arsenal are probably the closest in the Prem but you have to go back to my team, Leeds United to see a team put together on the cheap that won the top prize in this country.

Then came Sky and its crock of gold and every man and his dog was chasing the top four and CL football. That chase was the demise of Leeds and since then only those with wealthy backers have got anywhere near the title.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »
Because you have just answered it yourself Tink, Chelsea, no league title for 40 years, in comes a russian billionaire and 2 league titles in sucsession, not rocket science is it.     ;)

whats it got to do with Arsene Wenger?
That he's (Wenger) not a Russian Billionaire buying league titles??

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
Been saying it for the last two/three seasons, Arsene is now well beyond his sell by date.  This season is a replication of the last three seasons at Arsenal, chances of winning something is dead by early March, and all that is left is to qualify for the Champions League, usually followed or accompanied by the departure of key players at the end of the season.  Followed by Arsene saying he has his greatest squad of players ever, and he does not need to spend money la la la, you've all heard it .. the clubs spin doctors make releases around the time of season (and Club Level) renewals of big pots of transfer cash to spend anyway - take your pick £53 million, £70 million - then its not spent and then in the case of last year big panic buys and then we amble on with the will he, won't he, spend mid season - he never does with the exception of Arshivin but that was more to do with the timings of the Russian season - and like a roundabout it goes on this way.

In the mean time we have one of the biggest wage bills of any team in world - higher than Bayer - that has been mismanaged by Arsene, so that we have a number of below average and at best average players (chosen by Arsene) that we can't get shot off until their contract ends.

Time to move on Arsene........

Thats funny, no mention of billionaires here? just your original thought on Wenger

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »
Tinx lighten up old son, it was a light hearted comment from me.  The old 'buying the league' accusation is obviously hitting a sore point with you, can't understand why??

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »
Because you have just answered it yourself Tink, Chelsea, no league title for 40 years, in comes a russian billionaire and 2 league titles in sucsession, not rocket science is it.     ;)

True Des! Think back to the last time the top league was won by a team not throwing bucket loads of cash at it. Arsenal are probably the closest in the Prem but you have to go back to my team, Leeds United to see a team put together on the cheap that won the top prize in this country.

Then came Sky and its crock of gold and every man and his dog was chasing the top four and CL football. That chase was the demise of Leeds and since then only those with wealthy backers have got anywhere near the title.
I detect a re-writing of history here, was this not during the period under the Chairmanship of Mr 'Big Spend' Peter Ridsdale, whose spending bankrupted the club and sent Leeds plummeting to the lower reaches of the league again.  ;)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »
 ;D you don't know me well enough  ;D

if I lighten up any more Ill blow off the balcony 8)

;D  ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 14:19:04 PM »
"I detect a re-writing of history here, was this not during the period under the Chairmanship of Mr 'Big Spend' Peter Ridsdale, whose spending bankrupted the club and sent Leeds plummeting to the lower reaches of the league again. "

Once again your football knowledge lets you down UBT ;-)

Leeds United won the last ever First Division title under Howard Wilkinson. He spent very little buying the likes of Strachan, Chapman and Cantona and bringing through the likes of Gary Speed and David Batty.

Lukic
Sterland Whyte Fariclough Dorigo
Strachan MacAllister Batty Speed
Chapman Wallace

The Chairman then was Leslie Silver. Ridsdale was later - in the Premier League - and he chased the 'holy grail' of the Champions League by borrowing on future season ticket sales.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 14:24:01 PM »
Like the banter but who would you rather be a supporting, a team with a russian billionaire who at least challenges or wins things or just sitting there trying to believe that a prudent financial model which I agree with in principle but does not lead to titles/silverware with a manager who has managed from time to time to play some nice football but not one anything, well for a while.

Most supporters want their club to win whatever league they are in, even the dad down with the under 12's on a Saturday wants the team to win. That's the point if not there is none!!

Think I know where I stand...good old Roman!!

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 16:25:28 PM »
But who are you supporting teetee, the team with the English name, i-e manchester, chelsea, liverpool, arsenal, spurs etc, then watch all their players from abroad do the scoring. then come an international game, i-e spain v england and for example the spaniard scores and the reaction is ah well good goal he does play for man city of course, patriotic to england or what.  ;)  :)

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »
I am not looking at this from a nationalistic perspective, I really could not care less about the nationality of the owner of the club, particularly in the UK where we constantly sell off our countries assets anyway!!.  However, the business model of Abramovich or Manc City arabs is not economically sustainable, and is not good for competition in football terms played out in the Premier League, where there are increasingly just two or three teams competing for the title, and the rest chasing CL places at best, and avoiding relegation, and increasingly bankruptcy as a result, at its worst.  I think Billionaires taking over clubs and the being allowed to buy their way to success has done great harm to English football in terms of the development and opportunity for English players (and indeed Scottish, Welsh and Irish) to play in the Premiership, and as a result it has done great harm to the England national team too.

Contrast this, for example, with the German model operating in the Bundesliga. Great football being played, superb stadiums where ticket prices are in many cases half the price of Premiership clubs, where the football is still grounded - and this should raise some responses - in working class support, where people are happy to cheer and sing to support their club, where a father can still afford to take his children to football.  The clubs are financially sound, and this long term approach is paying off in football terms too.  Look at the CL, three German clubs won their groups to qualify for the knock out rounds, only One English team done that, and in fact only one other english qualified for the knock out rounds!!  A higher percentage of germans playing in the league when compared to english in the PL, and the German national team continues to be one of the best teams in Europe and indeed the world.

I know which model I'd prefer to have........

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf