Author Topic: Security at Dalaman  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Security at Dalaman
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:27:30 AM »
For any other folk like me who are part of the " worries themselves for the world club" i thought i would post about how impressed i was re the security at Dalaman when i left on Thursday...( sob sob)
Firstly the car was stopped at the polis bit and was checked on the outside for i assume exposives with the long dector thingy...
The two security checks were the same as always, on boarding the little extra bit was set up where you have to make sure all your gadgets are fully charged in case they need to be checked...anyway here ( i think these will still be random folk who are pulled  over as they cant possibky check a whole flight) i had to open my hand luggsge case and it was checked for i assume explosives possibky drugs too with anither probe type thing where the lady attached something to the probe went all round the case then handed it to a guy who did something with it then agsin to my food carrier bag same thing then i was refrisked before boarding, the flight had all of 15 passengers on it, so sad re this but I do hope it had taken quite a few holidsy makers over on the outward leg...
It was defo the female passengers they did the extra checks on as opposed to the men i noticed...

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Security at Dalaman
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »
Security at Turkish airports has always been strict - I know sometimes there'll be lapses, but in general its always been higher than most European airports. 

In fact, its actually a bit more relaxed than it used to be for domestic flights.  Going back a few years, after you'd checked in your hold bag and fannied about the departure area for an hour so, when you went to board it was never directly via an AirBridge - you did it by walking out onto the tarmac, where there was this long row of suitcases that had all been checked in.  You then had to physically identify your bag before the baggage handlers would put it on the aircraft, no exceptions! Fine during the summer, but in January when it was weeing down or snowing...

I'm trying to remember when they stopped doing this - may have been 2004 or thereabouts, not sure. 

JF

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 12:08:40 PM »
Oh wow that is interesting John re having to walk on to the tarmac and identify your bag!
I was also the last one to board but did not know there were only 15 passengers, i thought we were just starting to board with the folk who were at the gate and the rest would be down soon!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 15:12:37 PM »
Yes I think you are right John, it was 2004 as I remember. Really odd to see your suitcase on the runway.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 15:24:30 PM »
I don't remember that ever happening when we traveled.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 18:33:58 PM »
You wouldn't if you were travelling internationally - as I said, it was for domestic passengers only.  Saying that, if you were flying to the UK via Dalaman then you'd have to do it there, on the domestic leg.

The more I think about, the more I think Keith and I are right - it was 2004 when they stopped doing it at Dalaman and Istanbul, but I seem to remember someone telling me they still did it at quite a few other regional airports for a while after then.

JF

Offline Menthol

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 19:11:18 PM »
Much stricter at Dalaman than at Leeds/Bradford when we returned to Fethiye last week. Whilst it was hassle free I recall feeling rather concerned that it didn't feel safe enough.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf