Author Topic: Claim back VAT  (Read 2406 times)

Offline tintin

Claim back VAT
« on: February 06, 2005, 12:20:16 PM »
Can't see this info on the site and have just found out that if you buy furniture for use overseas you can actually claim back the VAT on it. Basically we are in the process of buying a new suite and have now decided to put a hold on it and ship it straight over to our villa in turkey when we go, and as we are doing this the Manager in the shop advised us that we can fill out a form which he will provide and send this off which enables you to claim back the VAT paid as it will be for use outside the UK.:D
We don't get much out of the vat man so might as well get what you can, afterall whatever we get back is more than I expected and it all helps towards the cost of moving, so if anyone's in the same position it's worth asking about.
Tina

Offline mikeh

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 12:53:07 PM »
yes but isnt the saving you make wiped out by the cost of shipping and are you faced with any duty payments when you bring it into Turkey? Surely far cheaper to buy one in turkey.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Claim back VAT
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 14:43:11 PM »
Tina,

Average cost of a suite in the UK, say £2000. £350 of the £2,000 is VAT. Total cost of the equivalent suite in Turkey, say £500. (We bought a suite over here for £650 and it would have cost £3,000 in the UK). AND, you don't have to wait for delivery!

Offline teresa321

Claim back VAT
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 16:24:29 PM »
Tintin, I am a bit curious as to why you are buying in the UK and shipping over. Is is it the quality or the styling that influenced you?

Teresa X

Offline frozen

Claim back VAT
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 16:49:06 PM »
Unless you have a residence visa am I right in saying that you incur a heafty bill when your items get to customs? Forgive me if you already have done this Tintin but it's just another thing to think about. No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Offline Dippey

Claim back VAT
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 17:46:05 PM »
I know this answer!

Exporting from UK. You can get a form for anything that you are exporting outside UK and is not coming back, must show proof of recipt with VAT number.

Importing to another country, if its still in original package (no matter how old it is!!) you will get taxed import duty. Then you have insurance and value for customs, catch 22 - zero to avoid duty but no payout on insurance if lost/damage if you expect to claim on insurance then put value in, but then you pay duty.

Offline tintin

Claim back VAT
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 10:40:59 AM »
Have taken all on your comments on board, and had looked into it everything you had to say, and yes it is personal choice Teresa, it was a suite that we had already picked out which will last for years, and quite honestly did not see anything that we liked when looking in Turkey, we will not be shipping alot of things over but will have a relatively small container mostly personal things to take over after we have our residence visa. It's my last extravagence while I'm still working and can afford it, and if I lose a bit of money well so be it!!!
Ended up having a sh...y weekend with my son and girlfriend being in an accident, and thank god they are OK even though the car isn't, sort of puts things in perspective though doesn't it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf