Author Topic: Forum Rules ?  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:58:16 AM »
I would like to ask those that might know what are the rules about members eailing others. I can see that there is a rule that says that you must ask the author for permission before publishing the contents of an email but what about when a member sends threats to another member as a result of a heated debate on CBF. The rule seems to protect those who have written a nasty email and not those who have recieved it.

I for one would be devastated to receive such an email, and I am upset to read that others have been subjected to it. It's one thing to enter into heated debate in full view of members it's another to take it off screen and personal. What protection is there - other than not entering into the debate in the first place ?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:40:37 AM »
I still stand by the rule - and if I was to copy and paste an email you sent me privately telling me you were dying, I think you would possibly agree with me. For instances where members email each other with unsavoury things, my only disappointment is that adults can't act in a mature way when it comes to debate.

As I've said many times before, one of the things I really don't like about CBF isn't the amount of arguing, it's the inability of so many adult members to have a good wholesome discussion without it descending into personal abuse.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »
I agree there are things which certainly should not be published, information given in confidence, however, I am not sure that I agree that telling someone where to shove their banjo should be one of those things - and is it right that the person who has sent the email be allowed to continue to be a member.

I for one am growing tired of it all, in fact I announced at home that enough was enough and I was going to stop with the CBF obsession, unfortunatley like a drug addict trying to kick the habbit it is proving to be more difficult that I had imagined, but why protect the idiot that sent the emails?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »
Unsavoury emails were sent by both parties, and I may be wrong but as they are both over 18, I am more than happy for their spat to continue in private. If it had been on the forum I would agree with you 100%. I'm not sure why you are growing tired of it all? It's 2 members out of nearly 6,000 in one topic out of 155,000. Even with a few other instances that you may be able to recall, it's still a 99.9999% friendly and courteous website  :)

To expect us to police the forums and 6000 inboxes is a little extreme, especially when both parties give as good as they are getting. It isn't a school, it's a forum for people who should know how to behave. If you have suggestions (anyone) on how to deal with grown adults behaving like kids, let's hear them. Especially how you would deal with 2 people tearing lumps out of each other, but privately and away from the CBF.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:59:54 AM »
When I say tired of it all it includes the inability of members to be courteous to each other on the forum as well as off.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 09:35:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgeous_bird

When I say tired of it all it includes the inability of members to be courteous to each other on the forum as well as off.

I'll second that.  8)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:53:09 AM »
Well I got a nasty email which included threats and came completely out of the blue. I really don't think members should have to put up with that.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 09:59:40 AM »
Just my tuppenceworth.  
No matter what rules are put in place there are always those who will break them.
On the whole CBF is a fantastic community but, as in all walks of life there are those who are tiresome, troublemakers and some just downright nasty.  
Luckily we have many more courteous contributors to this forum than most and for that reason alone we should be proud of what has been achieved here.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:01:06 AM by Anne »

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:10:51 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgeous_bird

I would like to ask those that might know what are the rules about members eailing others. I can see that there is a rule that says that you must ask the author for permission before publishing the contents of an email but what about when a member sends threats to another member as a result of a heated debate on CBF. The rule seems to protect those who have written a nasty email and not those who have recieved it.

I for one would be devastated to receive such an email, and I am upset to read that others have been subjected to it. It's one thing to enter into heated debate in full view of members it's another to take it off screen and personal. What protection is there - other than not entering into the debate in the first place ?

Thankfully GB, I don't think we're ever going to be that disappointed with your behaviour  :) on or off the forum  ;).

The last few days have certainly been another learning curve in cyber city  8).  I think that frustration sets in when outrageously nasty comments are made, the probability being, that those mouthing it off, would never have the guts to say such horrible things to the person themselves (or their families)! : :).

If theses 'cyber debatists', can't/wouldn't say it in person, I wish they wouldn't burden the majority of us with such inane drivel & psuedo macho posturing.  I suppose the sending of e-mails, is akin to 'taking it outside' (metaphorically).  

I've felt like bashing a few heads together myself over the last couple of days : :) There, I've said it !  8)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Forum Rules ?
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:32:53 PM »
Remind me never to email you then - what a perverse way of seeing things. If I send you an email and don't expressly state that it is private, you consider it not to be?

That is such a ridiculous way to look at communication between two private individuals.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf