Author Topic: Election day alcohol regulations  (Read 5917 times)

Offline davybill

Re: Election day alcohol regulations
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 08:58:22 AM »
Its the England world cup match on Sunday, the  bars in Calis will be pretty full.
they ould lose a lot of trade NO BEER.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 09:40:51 AM »
I suspect that the majority of visitors to Turkey have no idea how it works on election days in relation to the sale of alcohol.

In previous years most bars in the tourist areas started to sell alcohol as soon as the polls closed, and some prior to that.  One year there were a lot of folks drinking beer out of paper Coca Cola cups in the Paspatur   :)

The Polis and Zabita in Fethiye have usually taken a pragmatic view when it comes to tourists, alcohol and election day, a sentiment I suspect that came from above.  Places like the Jiva, Letoon etc wont have many Turkish guests as traditionally Turks return to their home town/village city to vote.
I'd be surprised if the ban was rigidly enforced once the voting stations close, but then again, nothing about Turkey ever really surprises me any more so maybe it will!

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 10:18:12 AM »
But, on the bright side, think of the benefits. On study of election day alcohol bans found "alcohol bans caused substantial reductions in road crashes (15%), traffic-related injuries (30-70%), and traffic-related hospital admission."

http://cadmus.eui.eu/handle/1814/32214

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 19:33:32 PM »
Sooooo yesterday I thought I want to hear from the horses mouth the correct answer as some comments on “the other place” are quite frankly doing my headd in! Soo DRUMROLL! I got on my bike and cycled down to Jiva there is a lovely new chap working on reception, he told me this and made a phone call to clarify...” It is only our Turkish guests who can not have alcohol on Sunday” soo goodness knows how that is going to be policed!

Thanks Karen, I thought that was the case but it's hard to know what is and isn't true any more

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 06:45:19 AM »
Your welcome Nichola I just dont see how its going to work!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »
Personally I can't see alcohol not being served, by any means necessary

I'm sure the Polis and Jandarma have better things to do on election day than police the tourist bars and restaurants

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 15:29:11 PM »
Sooo on the beach bar at Jiva which is a fab new addition to the resort and more so now there is a toilet as well and a lovely decking area with bean bag seats there is a little laminate stuck on the bar in a few diff languages saying due to election day there will be no alcoholic drinks served at this bar, so folk are just going to the other bar inside the complex and bringing it over to the beach Turkish as well as Brits defo!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 20:57:31 PM »
Where there's the will, there is a way   ;) :D

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 08:09:41 AM »
Most bars served in either plain glasses or paler coffee cups. No problem at all. One bar even advertised 10 tl an Efes whilst the game was on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf