Author Topic: Having a child - custody issue?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline arbitro3493

• Newly Registered
Having a child - custody issue?
« on: March 02, 2020, 09:45:34 AM »
Hello,

I appreciate this is not the place for legal advice but wondered if anyone had experiencing of parenting a child to a Turkish father.  A close friend is in a difficult situation and are unsure how to proceed.  The details of her predicament are below:

My friend had a relationship with a Turkish man.  This ended with her being pregnant.  The two were not married and separated during the pregnancy.  She has returned to England and had the baby.  The baby has taken the surname of the mother.  The fathers name has not been placed on the birth certificate in the UK.  The father is being abusive to the mother via social media and making numerous threats.  The father wishes to continue his relationship with the mother and appears to have little interest in the child.  He has made no payment or support towards the child so far. She is worried about returning to Turkey.   Her main worries are:

·         The father is threatening to take her to court to obtain full custody of the child – what is the likelihood of this?
·         The father is threatening to take her to court to obtain a DNA test so he can force the child to take his surname – if he is a British citizen, how can this happen?
·         The father is threatening to harm her and the child should they return – are the Jandarma able to offer support?

I appreciate there is probably a ton of legality behind this but wondered what more experienced members experiences of this may have been

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Having a child - custody issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »
She needs make copies of all that's been said on social media and stop using it. Then see a solicitor. If she's in the UK her first port of call could be Citizen's Advice.

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 13:30:35 PM »
Doesn’t look as though he has any official claim to the child.  He would have to pay for DNA testing to confirm he is the father.  In all honesty, unless you wants to continue the relationship, I would totally distance myself from this man as it could cause you more trouble than you need.  Get your sensible head on and think long term.  Good luck.

Offline hornedfrog

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:52:32 AM »
I'm so sorry your friend is experiencing these difficulties.

I just read on Fethiye Times that there's a Foreign Citizens Advice Centre in Kusadasi; that may be another source to get information, particularly from a Turkish legal viewpoint. They may be able to tell you what protection your friend can expect if traveling back to Turkey. The website is [https://adviceturkey.org/].

Please tell your friend good luck and keep her head up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf