Author Topic: Short Changed At Currency Exchange  (Read 13927 times)

Offline Sleuth

Short Changed At Currency Exchange
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:31 AM »
Actually Scunn `sleight of hand` is probably the wrong expression.
What they ( and it is anyone of three of them in the exchange office ) rely on is basically  ... you not actually counting the lira out in front of them, and just stuffing it in your walet and pocket and walking out.
They usually count out the lira  before handing it to you, out of sight below the counter.
T

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »
Listening to others  who have had the same experience as us and the  posts on here, for some reason,they try to con the women who go in there more than the men ? ! . Also I would imagine  anyone who appears annebriated,or even slightly would be easy prey  for them. They cant lose..  because when you confront them and show them you have been short changed...  they just say "sorry " and instantly give you the missing lira.  But of course 1  out of  every 10 people  who go in there probably  trust them and dont check the lira  given to them ,  and thats what the scumbags  rely on [:(!]

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 14:01:04 PM »
It would be nice if the hotels in Hisaronu warn their holidaymakers about this scam,

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 02:55:40 AM »
I stupidly type English when I was at the ATM and ended up with our own money. :-\
So being completely sober I decided to change money at the exchange place in Hisaronu.  I was sure they conned me three years ago.

They guy counted the money out in front of me starting with a fifty and VERY quickly counting the rest.  
Not being trustful I stood in the door where he could see me and recounted.  There was one fifty, 4 twenties and the rest in tens.  Surprise surprise there was twenty short!!!!!!
So I returned and he took the money off me and counted it in front of me slowly.. Guess what there was 5 twenties this time.
I know I did not make a mistake but how do you prove it.

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 17:48:03 PM »
You dont Heather ,you just do as you have done ,warn people and hopefully they will have very few customers

Offline steven moore

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 18:32:18 PM »
As there are a few exchange shops in Hisaronu which one was it as you said it happened three years ago !

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 18:49:26 PM »
This topic is 4 years old.

Offline BM06

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 23:08:47 PM »
I just love the search button.......:D:D you can have a moan about things that happened years ago and the sheep will follow ;):D:D:P

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 17:58:14 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BM06

I just love the search button.......:D:D you can have a moan about things that happened years ago and the sheep will follow ;):D:D:P

Or instead you can actually read the post from Heather that was warning people about what happened a few days ago ,you baaaaaaaad boy.:P

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 18:12:45 PM »
We used this place twice whilst we were over and noticed they do not give a receipt as they do in the Change Offices in Fethiye.
However, the first time we got our money changed at this office the rate in Calis was 2.52 the rate in this place in Hisaronu was 2.58.  We did check the money and it was fine.  After this we walked up the road and notice the change office just up  on the left of the Mosque was giving 2.59. When we were in Fethiye we checked Dikmens change office and then crossed the road to the other one up the one way street. This other office were offering 1 lira more than Dikmens.  Moral is shop around if you can, and always double check your money. On reflection I think it's suspicious if an Official Change Office does not give a receipt and perhaps they will catch out the unwary.:-\

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 18:14:12 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf