Author Topic: Tourist numbers up, tourist spend down...  (Read 7443 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Tourist numbers up, tourist spend down...
« on: November 28, 2012, 15:21:17 PM »
The number of tourists during July, August and September increased by 3.7% compared to the same period last year - sounds promising, doesn't it? 

Unfortunately the downside is that the amount of money spent by tourists to Turkey in that quarter has fallen by 4.1% for the same period. 

So, could a loose interpretation be that lots of folks arrived, but once they got here did they maybe find things a bit expensive?

Discuss...

JF

Stats obtained from: http://www.turkstat.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=10925

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Tourist numbers up, tourist spend down...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 16:54:27 PM »
Tourism income is examined as $ 8 957 384 030 at third quarter of 2012.

8 Billion dollars  WOW :o :o :o

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 17:05:48 PM »
Maybe people are just shopping around more and eating at home?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 17:41:05 PM »
I wonder if people spend more when things are cheaper - like they'll have as many beers as they want on holiday when they are a quid, but tend to sit over them if they are relatively expensive. Same for eating out - people might do it more (and go for pricier dishes) if the pricey ones are still relatively cheap.

Of course the biggest cause of increases in holidaymakers and drop in spending is all inclusive holidays - something Turkey is becoming more and more well known for as a destination.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 18:00:47 PM »
Interesting point about AI in Turkey.  But how long will it (the AI)  last?

Every person I've spoken to who has been AI in Turkey for the first time has generally been AI somewhere else, Spain being the most common.  The majority described their Turkish AI experience as being utter sh1te.    Poor quality/choice of food, exorbitant premiums for anything other than Cin, Votka, Raki or Efes/Tuborg - and as someone said to me last week, "don't get me started about the wine!".

A few will probably return to Turkey but not AI but for the majority they were very disappointed and unlikely to return.

JF

Offline cheers

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 18:02:46 PM »

Of course the biggest cause of increases in holidaymakers and drop in spending is all inclusive holidays - something Turkey is becoming more and more well known for as a destination.

I would say this is the reason Keith.  We didn't really notice a great deal of difference in the prices this year from last.  Yes things had gone up but that is to be expected anywhere.  It didn't make us spend any less.

We have tried AI before and in my opinion the only areas that get it right are the Caribbean, Mexico, Dubai etc

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 18:41:08 PM »
I'd agree that the Caribbean/Mexico etc are the masters of AI - and they were our first experiences of the concept. We then managed to get a cheap week AI in Lanzarote and it was absolutely dire. The next was Turkey (Belek) which I must say was pretty good.

If you pay premium prices, Turkey can compete these days I think for AI. If you don't, it is as John suggests. I have never tasted worse wine (red & white) than in Turkish AI (non-premium) resorts - and the choice of included drinks is terrible. On a last minute escape for a long weekend to Majesty Tuana I sat and watched many Russians ordering brandy or whisky - both served both from the same magic bottle.

The question for me is what AI does for Turkey. JohnF suggests it is more likely to put people off returning - but that wasn't our experience. It was what got us there for the very first time, and what made us head off out looking for a real Turkey. We've been back a few times since  ;)

Offline cheers

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 19:02:08 PM »
If tourists are going to turkey for the first time expecting good AI in Calis I hope they don't choose the the Hotel Remer.  It will probably be the last time they ever visit Turkey!!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 19:06:50 PM »
The question for me is what AI does for Turkey. JohnF suggests it is more likely to put people off returning - but that wasn't our experience. It was what got us there for the very first time, and what made us head off out looking for a real Turkey. We've been back a few times since   ;)
I didn't say all would never go back, in fact at least one couple who had a nightmare at an AI are likely to stay at our place in Karagozler next year.   

If you pay premium prices anywhere in the world you can have a good AI - however I don't think "premium price customers" are in the majority when it comes to AI in Turkey.  Its Joe Bloggs, his missus and 2/3/4 kids.  He wants a decent pint, she wants her Bacardi & coke and the kids want unlimited soft drinks.  They don't get it...  they wont be back.  They don't remember that Xyz hotel didn't have decent beer or Bacardi, they just tar all of Turkey with the same brush.  I may be over simplifying it, but its the way I see it.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 19:13:31 PM »
If tourists are going to turkey for the first time expecting good AI in Calis I hope they don't choose the the Hotel Remer.  It will probably be the last time they ever visit Turkey!!

I thought you were a fan of the Remer?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf