Author Topic: Credit Card Fraud - A2B Transfers and Resorthoppa  (Read 41414 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Credit Card Fraud - A2B Transfers and Resorthoppa
« on: August 25, 2013, 20:49:13 PM »
I had fraudulent use of my credit card last week - the first I knew was when my bank called me to say they had detected irregular activity on the card and asked me about a number of transactions which were certainly not down to me. The bank were good about it and to be honest other than shredding my card and awaiting a new one, I didn't give it too much further thought.

Today on Facebook there are many people who have reported similar fraudulent activity on their cards - and suggesting that it can be traced to them making a recent booking with A2B or Resorthoppa (who are both owned by the same company). Well, guess who the last known transaction on my card - yes, Resorthoppa!!!

From what I can understand the company are doing an investigation, but to me it does appear to be pretty likely that the cause is there somewhere so please, anyone who has recently booked transfers with either brand, please check your statements ASAP.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Re: Credit Card Fraud - A2B Transfers and Resorthoppa
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 21:05:22 PM »
It never occurred to me Keith that the fraud on my card was linked to when I used my card in Turkey until I answered some questions today... I booked my A2B on line from Uk, whilst in Turkey I used my card (same one) to purchase something online, I never ever do that but it was for a sale and I would have missed out had I waited until I was home, I used my neighbour's wifi on my own netbook (no public wifi connection) then whilst still in Turkey the bank phoned me and left a message on my answer machine re the fraudulent transacation... quite scary as loads of people have said it has happened to them, this is the first time it has ever happened to me....
Like Diane from A2b said they don't handle the payment side so it could be anywhere in the company that someone is being dishonest, not the office in Fetiyhe  :(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 21:16:10 PM »
Yes I am sure it has nothing to do with the Fethiye office Karen - it's a real shame for Diane as she works so hard and is so helpful. I am in the UK and booked online from here so it isn't just people booking in Turkey.

It never occurred to me either that it might be the transfer booking, I just assumed it was one of those things, and that it was just finally my turn - I've never had this happen before. I assume this will not be good for A2B and Resorthoppa which is a real shame.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 21:24:55 PM »
I nearly booked the other week with Resort Hoppa/A2B.  The only reason I didn't was because I couldn't find a contact telephone number anywhere on the web.  They also don't have a chat facility and I wanted confirmation before booking that we could be dropped off near the tax office.

Instead I booked with transfers4cheap/Holiday Hoppa, who have a London telephone number and a chat facility which you can use whilst making your booking.  They are a little bit dearer but at £27 return for both of us, I think pretty good value.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 21:25:10 PM »
I rang First Direct tonight and they said that Golf bookers computer will most probably have been compromised in some way and become insecure rather than a personnel issue.
They said they will put a note on the file, but that their main interest is recovering the money from O2 and then it's down to O2 to sort out their end, so the bank won't be dealing with Golfbookers.
I had convinced myself it must be the amazingly cheap little authentic Chinese restaurant I went to while in the UK as all my other transactions were at big supermarkets and stores.
I'm so glad it wasn't them as definitely want to go back there!
A2B are a great company, so would recommend people still book, but pay cash on arrival.

Offline phil5257

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 22:39:00 PM »
I had the same , booked a transfer through A2B and the next my bank contacted me to say they suspected my card was being used fraudulently. The last payment before this was to Golfbookers.

Offline Edina

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 23:37:12 PM »
Hi

I also was hit by fraudsters after using A2B recently.  I booked transfers  with them aon 3.8.13 and and 3 days later went on to my internet bank account to discover that my debit card had been used on seven (!) separate occasions to top up pay as you go mobile phones: 3 for 02 mobile, 2 for something called  EE Mobile and then finally 2 for Vodafone - total of £100 went from my bank account all on the same day.   I reported it to the bank etc and they reimbursed the money to my account, but the rub here is that they say I have 14 days to return the paperwork (giving details of the transctions to them) which I did not receive until 12 days after I had reported it to them!  It was returned in a SAE 2nd class!

It is such a shame, as I have used A2B several times now and recommended them to friends too.  Now I am not sure if I can use them again. 

Debit card was cancelled.   Thankfully nothing more has been taken....but only time will tell.

The bank said that nearly 90% of the fraud reports are to do with mobile phone top ups!  Makes you think doesn't it?

Edina
 :o

Offline Edina

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 23:40:07 PM »
Hi again

I forgot to mention that my transaction also took place in UK, not Turkey.

Edina :(

Offline Menthol

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 02:05:14 AM »

I had convinced myself it must be the amazingly cheap little authentic Chinese restaurant I went to while in the UK as all my other transactions were at big supermarkets and stores.
I'm so glad it wasn't them as definitely want to go back there!
A2B are a great company, so would recommend people still book, but pay cash on arrival.

Ah, unfortunately the larger stores and supermarkets are not immune to dishonest personnel. My husband was the victim of credit card fraud. It happened twice and on both occasions he had been served by the same young lady in Sainsburys at the cigarette kiosk. The fraud was traced back to her eventually and apparently she was responsible for a very large number of frauds at that store.

Late night at petrol stations, when they ask you to 'pay in advance' before switching on the pumps. Do you hand your card over? What do they do with it whilst you can't see and are filling up your car?

Such a shame for the companies tarnished with this though.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 06:24:53 AM »
Should mention too with mine it's been a bit different as my bookings with a2b were in April and nothing taken til August, where a lot of people's has been instant.
I also have 14 days to get the paperwork back to First Direct. They sent their letter by secure message from their website.
I've waned them the post from here may be slow.....
Fingers crossed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf