Author Topic: Jet2 Glasgow Monday 2 Sept  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Ray1951

Jet2 Glasgow Monday 2 Sept
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »
A Jet2 flight from Glasgow to Dalaman on 2 Sept had to return to the UK two and a half hours into the flight because of a technical problem. They made it to a quiet part of East Midlands Airport, where fire engines etc were on standby. The police closed the motorway as a precaution. Thankfully everyone was OK but just greatly inconvenienced. Another flight brought them to Dalaman and they arrived at 06.30 on Tuesday. I have been told that this is the second time one of their aircraft experienced a 'gearing' problem and their aircraft had all been grounded as a result. I haven't heard anything on the news but a lady at our hotel knows people who were on the actual flight mentioned.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: Jet2 Glasgow Monday 2 Sept
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 18:45:20 PM »
Yeah, Ray1951, I got all that info too on Pprune network and was able to let my friends know the reason, as they were getting no info at Dalaman end.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 18:57:28 PM »
Can you post a link toky please and/or provide more information

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 19:04:53 PM »
A Jet2 flight from Glasgow to Dalaman on 2 Sept had to return to the UK two and a half hours into the flight because of a technical problem.

Isn't this a bit like the joke about the Irish cross channel swimmer who got tired half way across so decided to turn back?

Why would a flight two and a half hours away return to the UK and just make it to an airport that had been put on high alert with major precautions like closing motorways?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 19:34:42 PM »
Forgive me but I find it extremely hard to believe that there has not been any mention of this in the media if it was as major an incident as portrayed.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 19:43:01 PM »
We were at the same gate as the Glasgow flight as we were delayed but no one told us anything and the incompetents put the Glasgow flight at our gate. So basically 2 flights worth of displaced passengers all milling about at the same gate. We were at the desk when a very polite lady asked a member of ground staff if they'd be boarding the Glasgow flight to be told ' oh no that's been cancelled! ' very nonchalant ! Naturally then the word spread round and finally the Glasgow flight was moved to the next gate to be told they would probably be taken to a hotel for the night. Again all very casual. Honestly it beggars belief the way in which the staff handle communications! It made our delay very inconsequential .

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 20:49:34 PM »
I would guess that if the flight was only at risk when landing then flying back to the UK would be more favorable as firstly they can get passengers on their way better from an airport they currently serve and secondly they will have the maintenance staff and parts more readily available in the UK than some random area like Croatia or wherever 2 1/2 hours happens to be.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 20:53:22 PM »
Agree that lack of information can be very frustrating about 8 years ago we were delayed at Dalaman for 26 hours. We were in the airport for over 8 hours before we were bussed to various hotels. The only info we got were from one of the passengers who rang their nephew who worked for Mytravel. The airport staff didn't tell us anything.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 21:48:51 PM »
FAO Higlander PPRuNe Forums - It was turned back over Holland/Germany  en route initially to Dalaman because of loss of hydraulics with no nosewheel steering available, and diverted to East Midlands airport.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 22:02:37 PM »
Agree that lack of information can be very frustrating about 8 years ago we were delayed at Dalaman for 26 hours. We were in the airport for over 8 hours before we were bussed to various hotels.

That must have been extremely frustrating Paul. They should have bussed you to one hotel and let you stay there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf