Author Topic: A Question of Nationality  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
A Question of Nationality
« on: October 04, 2013, 19:58:10 PM »
I have been pondering this for a while. If you have dual nationality - for example British and Turkish - and two passports, what do you write in the API box for nationality?

e.g. If you are a British lady married to a Turkish man and got kimlik/citizenship and Turkish passport, and you travelled on Easyjet using your Turkish passport, but you were born a British citizen, do you put British or Turkish in the nationality box?

Keeps the mind active, but does anyone know the answer?   ;)

Offline littlereddevil

Re: A Question of Nationality
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 20:07:12 PM »
  ;)no

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 20:59:27 PM »
Probably

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 21:03:01 PM »
Not the answer to your question but an interesting note on the UK Border Agency website.

Under international law, we cannot give you diplomatic help if you are in a country of which you are a national. For example, if you hold both British and Chinese nationality we would be unable to give you diplomatic help when you are visiting China.

So, the English wife of a Turk who holds both British and Turkish nationality cannot get diplomatic help when she's in Turkey.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 01:02:44 AM »
Maybee, possibly ?? are Easyjet bothered?
I bet its one of those 'turn a blind eye moments'

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 20:00:49 PM »
Surely if you put Turkish then Easy jet would be obliged to ensure that you have a valid visa for the UK. I believe they could be fined for carrying a visa national without the required UK visa. Why would you queue up for a UK visa at the British Consulate in Istanbul when you could travel hassle free on your UK one? ..
WW

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 20:18:52 PM »
Yes that's fair comment - I used Turkish & UK passports as the example because I thought that would be a common combination - but obviously there are other complications.

So, what about if you had a UK passport and a European one - say Italian through parentage - would you write British as nationality even if you travelled with the Italian one? I remember an old British with Italian parents friend used to travel on his Italian one as it was often cheaper for visas in many countries than a UK passport holder.

Offline lissa

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 23:50:57 PM »
But they are Euro passports now, so does not matter if Italian, French, British whatever. I have Turkish ID but do not need a Turkish passport, my ID card is enough when I travel in and out of Turkey. I show this together with my EU passport. I  am still a Brit though, even after many years here! My passport is EU so I would state my nationality as British.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 23:55:09 PM »
Not the answer to your question but an interesting note on the UK Border Agency website.

Under international law, we cannot give you diplomatic help if you are in a country of which you are a national. For example, if you hold both British and Chinese nationality we would be unable to give you diplomatic help when you are visiting China.

So, the English wife of a Turk who holds both British and Turkish nationality cannot get diplomatic help when she's in Turkey.

That is correct. One of the issues to consider when thinking of applying for citizenship in another country.

Offline lissa

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 00:10:38 AM »
Sorry, I do not think this is correct, the British person can always get diplomatic help. Though this help is very  limited in any case. I think you have read this info from the British Consulate incorrectly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf