Author Topic: thomas cook delay  (Read 2477 times)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
thomas cook delay
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »
we were delayed for 6hr coming home from dalaman on the 28th september for 6hrs
i sent off a compliant to tc and asked for compensation i received a email back today saying the situation was out of their control so no compo
is this right ? can they get away with this?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: thomas cook delay
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
Just the first hurdle Puma - hop over it and get stuck in:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 17:07:20 PM »
thanks scunno very helpful x

Offline hillside

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 18:25:00 PM »
Oh that makes interesting reading - and explains alot - thank you. We've (touch wood) not had a long delay - but when we've had short ones Easyjet ALWAYS blame customers - ie, passengers arriving in Turkey didnt have the correct documentation (!?)  - we're waiting for 5 late passengers (who never arrived and there wasnt 5 spare seats on the plane!) Obviously a policy or habit they just adopt to explain delays away....

Offline charlste

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 20:21:58 PM »
If they quote "extraordinary circumstances" and you dont want to do all the paperwork there are quite a few no win no claim companies who will act on your behalf.
I am using one at the moment so will keep you posted.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »
Having briefly read the above attachment, if car insurance compensation claims are anything to go by our flight prices will be doubled in the next few years to cover the cost of the claims.
It is a pain in the backside being delayed and some people do have genuine losses (costs incurred) due to delays but I would say on the whole to most passengers it is just an inconvenience.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »
I'm with Bewva on this one.  We were delayed for 11 hours going out on the 26 August - a real pain in the butt, for us just an inconvenience because we were going for a long time.  However, it would be very different for people on a one week holiday. We were given £30 vouchers  for food, free meals on the plane and a free drink.  We only paid £60 for the flight so for us to be able to claim £400 each seems absurd.

Just saying......

MoneySavingExpert.com creator Martin Lewis says:

"The law behind this is clear cut, the ethics far less so. My usual focus for these type of issues is on reclaiming; asking for money back that was wrongly taken from you. This, however, is compensation, and like many I worry about a growing compensation culture.

"This EU ruling has certainly swung the pendulum against airlines. As the cost of the flight is irrelevant to the payout there will be some who paid £20 for a cheap flight, were delayed a few hours that didn't really bother them, yet are entitled to a disproportionate £348 compensation for it.

"If everyone did it, this could cripple budget airlines' pricing models and possibly hasten the financial troubles of airlines already struggling in a tough economy. Therefore balancing this on the see-saw of right and wrong isn't easy.

"Yet, equally there are many for whom this is valuable financial justice for substandard service on an expensive product. People who paid £1,000s for flights and spent a dozen hours trapped with upset young children, sleeping on chairs in overheated airports or on planes waiting to take off.

"Therefore each individual must make their own ethical choice of whether to take up the cudgels and go for the compensation. While the impact on the airline is no reason not to do it, for me it is a reason to first examine whether the compensation you could be due would be truly fair or excessive."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:48:18 AM by Marggie »

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »
Maybe a fairer system would be compensation based on a % of your ticket price.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 12:24:36 PM »
I agree with Bewva and Marggie in general, but I do think they should compensate for extra out-of-pocket expenses.

As an example, Mr WB was delayed in Zurich for over six hours when returning from Tanzania earlier this year.
This meant he missed his train from London to Leeds and had to pay £135 for a new ticket - which he did reclaim from Swiss Air.

(Before anyone says it - yes, we would normally stump up the extra tenner or whatever it is to have a flexi-ticket, but on this occasion the transport was booked by someone else who just went for the cheapest option possible.  :  :))

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
It's the "Out of our control" bit that's the problem. If they can prove it was then they don't have to pay.

"What scenarios are NOT the airline's fault, meaning no compensation?

Where the delay is out of the airline's hands, then 'extraordinary circumstances' include:

Bad weather
Industrial action
Political problems
Security or safety issues
Technical problems caused by the plane manufacturer (eg, Airbus, Boeing)
Air traffic management decisions, eg, airspace shut due to volcanic ash

Don't give up though  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf