Author Topic: Fly Thomas Cook - Possibly the Worst Service in the World  (Read 9247 times)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Fly Thomas Cook - Possibly the Worst Service in the World
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 18:30:54 PM »
You beat me to that Bluewise

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 19:17:59 PM »
It's understandable that people get angry and blame the site when it may be themselves that aren't very good at understanding them.
Is that modern IT-speak for "We designed it so badly customers found it difficult/impossible to use"?

I remember the very early days of popular computing (i.e. when "ordinary" people were beginning to be expected to use them) when IT techies used to swamp us with GIGO (garbage in garbage out) which was a code saying if you had a problem with "their" computer then it was your own silly fault. Of course, what they didn't tell you was that often it was because of one of the following reasons:
(a) The hophead who had written the bit of program that malfunctioned did so at 3.00am when he was out of his head on speed; or
(b) There was bit of fly-sh1t on an electrical connection that made it fail; or
(c) The water-cooling system had failed and the whole system was 3 minutes away from terminal meltdown unless shut down; or
(d) The building has been hit by lightning and that has knocked the whole system down.

Still, it so much easier and more satisfying to blame the "customer" than accepting one's own poor performance - especially if you wrap this in impenetrable technicalities.

P.S. If anyone wonders how those 1970s computers got created try this wonderful book in the Tom Wolfe style:
Tracy Kidder (1981) The Soul of a New Machine.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 19:51:23 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 19:42:18 PM »
I don't know one redeeming feature of T.C. and we have no choice, they are the only ones that fly from Aberdeen.  However, thank goodness they have now started to sub-contract  our flights to Turkish Airlines, who have more room, much nicer staff and no hard sell for food, drinks, lottery tickets etc.,  It's a relief that T.C. have sold off our flights in the last few years, long may it continue. 
I would also mention that our latest flights without meals or booked seats are costing us nearly £800.00 from Aberdeen.  So, anyone who gets a cheap flight from T.C. will not be flying from Scotland where T.C. subsidise their British Flights.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 20:38:22 PM »
A lot of moaning going on here. Ilooking've never had a problem with thomas cool the many times I've been to Calis. It's understandable that people get angry and blame the site when it may be themselves that aren't very good at understanding them. As for monarch I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Looking forward to the story of the return leg and if that also takes longer to write than the actual time spent in the air.

Andrew, 2 rather nasty posts in just 4 in total, the other being when someone asked, in a very friendly way for a number for "Mr Kaan" at the Kaan Hotel. Next morning no-one had posted the number so you did. Here is your unfriendly tone back then:

Kaan, not Mr Kaan

I'll post the number then

0090 252 613 32 47

We all try to speak respectfully to each other, even when we disagree - sadly if you can't drop the aggression we'll manage without you. One more and it's goodbye. We don't need angry posts in the direction of fellow members on CBF.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 20:49:49 PM »
Sorry but on reflection I am nipping this in the bud. Such aggression towards long standing members by someone who just turned up recently is a reminder of some bad old days. I will not let it continue and we are now one member down on 5 minutes ago.

It's a seaside town we all love and we come here to share our love and experiences. Where does someone like that fit into this?

Correct.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 21:00:19 PM »
Here here Bluwise and Anne,I felt totally appalled reading Rimms story, that poor elderly gent that has made my blood boil for the cabin crew not to even ask if he was ok and no offer of water or anything that is a disgrace.... they are also there to help the passengers not just keep offering to sell you stuff... It was more then obvious to me Rimms knew how to navigate his way round the Thomas Cook website and whilst we are on the subject I hate the new layout of booking flights on their website and that is before I even would be trying to book any extras... Get a grip Thomas Cook...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 21:10:45 PM »
The worst Dalaman to UK flight I ever had was on Thomas Cook - it was a through the night one arriving back in Glasgow at around 6am - and even though I was early to check in, they gave me the aisle seat in the last row - awful firstly because it is notably narrower than the rest of the seats on board(and I certainly am not), no recline, no legroom - and secondly because even though it is a night flight, the crew (just behind my head) never shut up for the whole 4 hours. Talking, laughing, clanking teapots, slagging off another member of the crew up at the front end of the plane, you name it.

One was even telling the others she had been to her child's parents evening and she is doing really well, but she was "a bit chatty". I was so tired and fed up, I nearly turned round and said "Really! I wonder where the **** she gets that from!!!"

Easyjet normally say they'll keep the announcements down to a minimum if it's in the wee small hours. As I think do Thomson.

Now I don't even check the Thomas Cook website. I book Easyjet, Thomson or Monarch, or I go somewhere else. How people slag off Easyjet is absolutely beyond me.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 21:28:11 PM »
Gordon, my son used to date an air stewardess who worked for TC.  She often told me they hated the Dalaman flights from Scotland.  Reason being,  they are mostly night flights so not a lot of commision to be made.  Says it all really :(

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 21:35:16 PM »
Totally agree re easyJet Scunner, they certainly have improved over the years.  8)

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 21:41:42 PM »
Three weeks ago I booked a return flight to Dalaman with TC. I'm flying from Edinburgh and returning to Glasgow - 19 days in June, cost £162. The outbound flight is using Pegasus whilst the inbound is TC.  My favourite airline is Turkish Airlines but in all honesty, price dictates who I fly with. I think we have all had gripes about various flight companies and this experience that Rimms has had is totally unacceptable.  That said, last week I decided to book hold luggage, a meal and choose my seat option, costing £31 which for the return journey I think is very good.  Choosing the bundle option under manage your booking would have prevented the lengthy and expensive phone call to a CSA who obviously was clueless.  I hope that you have written to TC to highlight the incompetency of their CSA.   Scottish flights seldom have empty seats and yet we often have to pay the more than other people flying from English Airports.  Having to pay £800 to fly from Aberdeen just shows how much these companies take advantage of us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf