Author Topic: Discuss.....  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Discuss.....
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 22:43:30 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Chinook

Looks like some Banker is using up part of his bonus.

VG  :D:D:D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Discuss.....
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 22:54:14 PM »
I don't pretend to understand any of it. What I would like to know is, if it's that good why didn't it sell for (say) £100,000 - that is a ridiculous amount for a skinny man in bronze. Why 580x more?

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Discuss.....
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:42:50 AM »
because someone else didn't understand it either, but was too embarrased to say so, so thought he'd pay a ridiculous price for it that suggests to the world that he IS intelligent and sees more than we see, and that we are the thickies because we don't understand....(I think I know what I'm trying to say....!)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Discuss.....
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:23 AM »
I wonder if they could have lived without it and spent some of the 58 million on helping in Haiti or somewhere else where a skinny metal man is not important right now either.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Discuss.....
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »
Some banker must have used most of this year's bonus on this.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Discuss.....
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »
Apparently, most of these expensive pieces that are sold at auction are going to Russia, there are so many millioniares their now.
I read the Antiques Trade papers and am always shocked at the awful "modern art" that seems to be making small fortunes every week.  
A lot of rich people think that putting money into Art (whether they like it or not) is better than having it invested in banks etc.,

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

Discuss.....
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 11:20:40 AM »
more money than sense! that money could have helped alot of people.. such a waste

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Discuss.....
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by xxbilleigh-joxx

more money than sense! that money could have helped alot of people.. such a waste

They have a lot of sense and business savvy which is why they are advised to buy Art at the moment because it's the best investment that can be made. However, there is an Artist called Michael Landy who is, at the moment destroying millions of pounds worth of art, from people like Tracey Emin, Damien Hirst, he is asking people do donate art and when he is finished he is going to put it all into a landfill sight. One might argue that it would be better to gather all these pieces and auction them for Charity rather that destroy them. Go to  http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article7007181.ece

:o
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:59:57 AM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Discuss.....
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 12:04:23 PM »
Well business savvy perhaps, but I certainly wouldn't want to invest £58m of my fortune (that's most of it lol) into an antique or 'work of art'. What happens if he wants to realise his asset - there's no guarantee that it'll auction for more at all, and one of the bidders won't be in for it this time, the new & current owner.

Offline Chinook

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »
quote:
wonder if they could have lived without it and spent some of the 58 million on helping in Haiti

Perhaps its been bought by one of the super rich families who control and run Haiti:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf