Author Topic: Discuss.....  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Discuss.....
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 12:36:01 PM »
Going off topic towards Haiti rather than art, there was an interview with a Haitian woman in the days just after the earthquake, on BBC News. Sitting amongst the rubble, she complained about the current President, who she claimed had promised to improve the quality of life for all Haitians when he came to power. She then raised her arms and looked around herself at the collapsed buildings in a "look at the state of this place" way.

These Presidents eh? Never deliver what they promise.

Offline dreamon

Discuss.....
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 13:22:06 PM »
Bronze Sculpture for sale, bargain at only 56 million, can deliver !!:D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 14:30:06 PM by dreamon »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Discuss.....
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 16:03:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Well business savvy perhaps, but I certainly wouldn't want to invest £58m of my fortune (that's most of it lol) into an antique or 'work of art'. What happens if he wants to realise his asset - there's no guarantee that it'll auction for more at all, and one of the bidders won't be in for it this time, the new & current owner.

As Giacometti was a very well respected and well bought Swiss sculptor who died in 1966 and this work has made so much money I predict in the not so distant future another piece of his work will come on the market and make even more.  It's the way the Art world is going at the moment and there seems to be an endless supply of people with money to spend on Art.:-\

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Discuss.....
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 17:28:04 PM »
Presidents!!!!!!!!Deliberate misuse of power.

I would like to know who paid that amount for a work of art as I have an ugly ornament that I could be persuaded to sell if the price  was right.: :)

Offline ronzeus

Discuss.....
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 17:55:51 PM »
Did he only do matchstick men Jacqui [?]

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Discuss.....
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 18:19:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ronzeus

Did he only do matchstick men Jacqui [?]

Not only men, animals too.  His work can always be recognised by the thin creatures he sculpted.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GPEA_enGB303GB304&q=giacometti+sculpture&um=1ie=UTF-8&ei=eQ5rS9zFHo_KjAeNs_DqBg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCQQsAQwAg

If you want to buy a piece of his work the Euro Millions Lottery is £85 million tomorrow night:D

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

Discuss.....
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 19:59:25 PM »
Business sense it may be Jacqui, but 58million? I hope my opinion doesnt offend anyone, apologies in advance if it does. I too love art but i just think that if the person who paid that gave even half that amount towards helping those who are less fortunate than ourselves it would go a long way. That said, i also think that if everyone who is extremely wealthy contributed some of their fortune they could possibly go some way towards helping the suffering of millions around the world, haiti is a good example but also those in 3rd world countries too. If i had 58million, i know i could give half of it to helping others and still have a fantastic life with more money than i could spend in a lifetime. I went to Africa some years ago and saw poverty first hand- it was heartbreaking :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf