Author Topic: The Secret Tourist (BBC1)  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The Secret Tourist (BBC1)
« on: August 13, 2010, 00:06:21 AM »
I am indebted to this TV programme which shows dirty hotels and cons that you might become a victim of on holiday. One in particular they said was called "The taxi con". Kindly they took the time to show exactly how an unsuspecting tourist might be conned by an unscrupulous taxi driver into paying more than they should.  

What happens is, the taxi driver takes a longer route and charges you more.

Wonderful, informative TV [|)]

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »
Were they in London ?

Offline Jenny1

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:58:33 AM »
Did you see the state of that Hotel Soviva in Tunisia? Disgusting, after doiing the swab test that the toilet bowl was cleaner than the bedside table? And the gunge that was on the telephone handset, yuk!
Bit mad though, as they found hairs on the bedsheets,  :othat they still slept in them and just covered pillow with their beach towel! Horrible! Fab programme though, wonder how you apply to go on, would love to do it!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:58:38 AM »
.... and when I get that Rimms in the back of my cab we will have a little chat!

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:18:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

I am indebted to this TV programme which shows dirty hotels and cons that you might become a victim of on holiday. One in particular they said was called "The taxi con". Kindly they took the time to show exactly how an unsuspecting tourist might be conned by an unscrupulous taxi driver into paying more than they should.  

What happens is, the taxi driver takes a longer route and charges you more.

Wonderful, informative TV [|)]

And their are people taking your passport and scamming you. who'd have thought it
 ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 13:48:12 PM »
I can't abide Matt Allwright. Would be delighted if someone on The Secret Tourist and/or Rogue Traders gave him a slap.

Offline BM06

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 14:14:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rimms

Were they in London ?

Keep your wigon Rimms:D ;)

Offline tiddly winks

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 16:21:26 PM »
Did anyone see the episode that looked at the all-inclusive in Marmaris? Food was so disgusting, if it wasn't eaten at lunch then it was re served at dinner and food temperatures were mostly at 35/6 degrees.

Pool was gross too and rooms were hardly touched when it came to cleaning. Bleurgh [xx(]

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 16:28:57 PM »
Yes and as I've been banging on for years, it is these programmes that do so much harm for Turkey. Hotels like the one in Marmaris are exactly what people who are not keen to try Turkey think it is all like. The truth is quite different of course. Nobody wants to make a programme about how superb the food is at Club Letoonia, or how crystal clear the pools at Lykia World are.

Offline tiddly winks

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 17:56:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Yes and as I've been banging on for years, it is these programmes that do so much harm for Turkey. Hotels like the one in Marmaris are exactly what people who are not keen to try Turkey think it is all like. The truth is quite different of course. Nobody wants to make a programme about how superb the food is at Club Letoonia, or how crystal clear the pools at Lykia World are.

Admittedly it doesn't paint a good picture of Turkey. However I've found that personal recommendations from people you know have more power than tv programmes. So many people I know have gone to Turkey this year and said the reason they went was because it was recommended and also the exchange rate was good.

Now is probably a bad time to tell I read another 'Love Rat' story a week ago. This guy was from Fethiye funnily enough. Exactly the kind of publicity it needs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf