Author Topic: Children Paying Rent to Parents  (Read 2509 times)

Offline julesbob0303

Children Paying Rent to Parents
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
I agree Toni.  Nice to see that Lottie is such a sensible girl and very well balanced!   :)

Our girls have never had an allowance as such - we bought them things like clothes, make up etc as they needed them,  but with four kids, they knew money was tight, and to be fair, they never took advantage.  As they have all worked part time from the age of 15, from then, they have bought almost all of their own clothes (not things like school uniform obviously!) and other luxuries as needed.

Our 21 year old has a minimal student loan from uni, as we helped as best we could, and she lived at home for the biggest part, with barely any travelling expenses.   :)

As Lynne says, kids do expect so much these days - cars etc, and our oldest three are all trying to save for cars, as, again, we are not in a position to pay out for cars for all of them.  Our own two cars cost us a fortune!

Again, thanks for all the comments.  It's really interesting how other parents have dealt with this.  (It was so much easier when they were all little ...........   :-\ )
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:15:34 AM by julesbob0303 »

Offline The Crinklies

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 13:10:55 PM »
When our 3 started work they were allowed to keep their first wage for themselves and after that they then contributed towards the household.
As most wages are automatically paid into a bank account, maybe a standing order could be set up from them to you? This would help avoid the hassle of you having to ask for their rent if it doesn't materialise?
Good Luck

Offline nuttybird

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 12:03:48 PM »

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 12:58:28 PM »
£30-£40 a week is what I'd be asking if my "kids" were working full time. Food, heating, washing, power  bills, trips to supermarket, phone, Sky TV, transported here and there if they don't have a car, their friends staying over..............yip, real value for £40 a week if you ask me.
If they don't like it, then tell them to try and get a better deal anywhere else.
:D

Offline Jenny1

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 15:28:34 PM »
My son always paid keep when he was at home, Kirsty is 20 and working, she gives me £50 per week, but I explained, if I had a partner it would obviously be lower?
She is happy to pay this amount, but sometimes I don't take anything.
This weekend she is camping in wales for 3 days with her boyfriend so she is let off!
And she is soooo scruffy and untidy in the house you never believe it!
I have took pictures of her bedroom and threatened to put them on Facebook!

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 16:31:23 PM »
Very interesting NB - this looks at the "dilemma" more from the parents point of view, rather than the kids (the student forum I looked at earlier in the week covered their point of view - a bit different to that of their parents!)   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf