Author Topic: The difference between designer and fake?  (Read 3156 times)

Offline sandgrounder

The difference between designer and fake?
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:05:48 AM »
As far as I can see there is no difference between the good fakes and the real deal. Why are females so hooked on spending hundreds of pounds on designer gear when they are the only ones who know how much they paid for them?

If I had a spare £400 I would rather go to a top London restaurant and experience fine dining rather than waste the money on shoes. You can't fake good food:D

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
You also don't have to spend £400 to get good food either  :)

As for fakes - quite often they are produced in seedy factories by children/adults who are forced into this type labour to survive. Maybe earning less in a week than most of us earn and hour. They are also quite often a way for drug cartels to launder their dirty money.

Oh - and they are mostly rubbish anyway.

Not a fan of fakes I guess  :)

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:41:01 AM »
I was generally talking about Turkish fakes Stoop ;) Most denim is produced in Turkey so the fakes are as good as the real thing ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »
The key to this questions is "As far as you can see".   Fakes are second best, I will admit  there are some good ones, particularly bags, but, I have found the really good ones in Turkey are just as much the real ones I have bought in sales in the U.K. and in the States at Outlet Villages.   I was told fake Jimmy Choos and Chloe bags were £400.00 in a Maya, Fethiye.  When I showed the guy my real Chloe bag, he told me it was a fake.  I explained I bought it in the Chloe Shop in N.Y. and he said they sell fakes too!!!
However, the  vast majority of the fakes particularly sold in the Markets are very obvious fakes and it's so easy to tell the difference, they are badly made.  If you pay £10.00 for a fake that is what it will look like.
Last weekend on the Outnet, a site advertised on this Forum at the  top of the page.  Marc Jacobs bags were as low as £60.00 each, this is for real leather designer bags that are usually around £365.00 each.   So if you shop carefully you can get a designer bag at a really good price.

The last and most important thing is I know I have a real designer bag or pair of shoes and if I look after them  the resale value will be as good and sometimes, in the case of bags even better than the bought price, so designer pieces can be investments.  

Incidentally, you don't have to spend £400 on a fine dining meal, or go to London.    We went to a Gourmet Night at an Hotel last weekend the Chef had won the Grampian Chef of the year award.  We had seven courses, all explained to us by the Chef and each course was accompanied by wine each wine was explained to us by the Wine expert who selected them.  The meal also included Champagne Cocktails to start with canapés and petite four and coffee to finish.  Cost was £75.00 each.  We also stayed the night (normally £150 per room) for £50.00.   So half the price of your meal in London and no taxi home.  

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
I have just finished reading a Barbara Nadel novel "Death by Design" (2010). It deals with Turkish policeman Inspector Cetin Ikmen investigating fake manufacture in Istanbul and London. It very much shares Stoop's view - and worse - of thr crimanal activity involved.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »
Maybe the denim is good quality and made in Turkey but much of the other fake stuff is of Chinese origin. The cheeky devils even advertise on line :

http://www.offergoods.org/FreeShipping/5-30540/designer-bags-website-from-turkey.aspx

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »
Should I see anyone with a designer item I always automatically think they have been on holiday to Turkey! : :) ;):D

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by loz

Should I see anyone with a designer item I always automatically think they have been on holiday to Turkey! : :) ;):D

Me too, that's even if I noticed they had designer gear in the first place  :o

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 11:43:38 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Liz 101

quote:
Originally posted by loz

Me too, that's even if I noticed they had designer gear in the first place  :o

Me too girls, whenever I see Victoria Beckham, Kate Moss, Kelly Brook, Catherine Zeta Jones etc., and they are carrying a really lovely handbag or wearing fabulous shoes I always think  "They must have been on holiday in Turkey". :P: :)  

Offline davybill

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
at calis market you can get genuine fakes,[as cheap as chips] lol]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf