Author Topic: Sign Petition to Stop Benefits for Rioters  (Read 3001 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Sign Petition to Stop Benefits for Rioters
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

Originally posted by tinkerman

How will stopping their benefits help?

Strange as it may seem,  I personally, as a British Tax Payer don't want to pay tax to fund Benefits for scum not working, who accept handouts then go out to vandalise,steal, murder and take away the livelyhoods from honesty hardworking people.
:(
It seems that 90% of people in the U.K. agree with me after an on-line vote for the Daily Mail 90% want to stop the benefits of rioters and only 10% want to keep them.[^]

I don't want to fund them either but the question was 'How will stopping their benefits help?' what do you think they will do with no benefits and no council house?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »
Get a job?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

what do you think they will do with no benefits and no council house?

It certainly wouldn't affect the little rich kids who were convicted after other quite recent riots.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 16:04:00 PM »
Example of rioter on benefits who has two children under 5:

Jacqui you suggest that that rioter's benefits should be withdrawn. What happens to the two innocent kids.

The State would surely have to accept responsibility for these children and the cost of same would presumably have to be borne by the taxpayer.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 16:21:59 PM »
Example Rioter of sixteen who has a child and was on T.V. this morning boasting about the things he took.  He was dressed in new trainers and new jogging pants but managed to get some nappies for his baby.  He also said he lived with his Mum.  
I don't advocate throwing people out of their homes, but I think each case could be taken on merit. So teenagers who don't want to work that can draw benefits should have them withdrawn.  
I would also be interested in the Rioter with two children under 5 years old.  How long has he been out of work? Does he plan to keep increasing his family to get more benefits so he does not have to work?.
When we got married and my husband came out of the Merchant Navy there was no work.  He wrote for so many jobs and eventually got a job in Scotland and we got a small council house.  I had to leave all my friends and family and start a new as I was an only child it was a terrible wrench, but I did it and my husband, studied long and hard at home and at College to get qualifications for a better job, sometimes after work he sat up until 3.00 in the morning studying and then off to work at 8.00am the next day.  We could have stayed in Liverpool and he could have gone on benefits but we choose to make a better life for ourselves and the children we hoped to have when we could afford to look after them ourselves.  
People have choices, a lot take the easy option.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 16:25:49 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 18:19:26 PM »
I have signed the petition ..not because I think it would work but it is the only way I can protest at what the little sods have done to innocent people's business, houses and jobs, not to mention the pointless loss of life.

My husband is self employed and his van with all his tools was stolen one night.  The saddest thing I have ever done was to watch him trying to put his business back in place. So no pity for any criminal.

Offline doubletwo

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 18:33:06 PM »
Ok.Their benefits are stopped.Then what? Who feeds the wife and the children of the rioter? Is that not punishing them to and illegaly I would imagine.Do we then stop the benefits of everyone that has been convicted of any crime.including the MPs who cheated the country out of thousands of pounds.The same MPs who know doubt think this is a great idea.
It will never happen as it opens a whole can of worms and know doubt some legal eagle will dream up a way so the rioters can then sue the government for millions.
Let the law deal with them thats what it is for.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 18:57:30 PM »
Jacqui/heather07 - what happens to the two innocent children[?]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 18:57:58 PM by Highlander »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 19:00:55 PM »
Should people who are on benefits be exempt from paying for things they trash then?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 19:21:26 PM »
No they shouldn't. But I think we do have to consider the consequences of the punishments which we impose.

You will know that my gut reaction was to throw the book at these people and I still want them punished severely (new topic pending)but that will involve consequences.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf