Author Topic: Hats and Sun  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Hats and Sun
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »
On the Wearing of Hats

I have received some comments about the wearing of hats. I am seldom seen outside without one. This has been the case for the last few years since I was recommended to do so by my dermatology surgeon after she dug a big chunk out of my shoulder to get rid of a basal cell cancer that I had not recognized until it had grown quite large. She instructed me to wear broad brimmed styles (those silly and ugly baseball caps are no use at all) and short-sleeved shirts in the summer sun. As far as she was concerned fair skin + blue eyes = skin cancer (unless you took precautions). BCCs are not malignant - the death rate is less than 0.05% - but having chunks taken out of yourself is a fairly drastic way of losing weight. More of a nuisance are the crusty AK (actinic keratosis) lesions, of which I have quite a few, but which can usually be treated with cryotherapy and/or creams. So far I have only had one BCC but am waiting for the biopsy results on a second suspect spot.

So, it is a bit late, but I now wear hats. Since you can get four seasons in a day in the UK this means even when it is cloudy. Being instructed to this I thought I would do the job properly so I have a range of hats: a tan canvas drover for summer; a black leather drover for winter (which also keeps the head warm and protects from light/medium rain); a cricket-type hat for the beach (not that I spend much time there), a Tilly Endurable for country hikes; and a man-about-town hat for formal occasions (as in avatar).

If you are anything like me when I was younger, you will dismiss all this talk of sun protection; it won't happen to me. Since I have never liked beaches much my exposure was largely from gardening in the UK - surely the sun couldn't be strong enough here. Wrong. There is good news for ex-pats and others spending long periods in Turkey. At the time of my surgery I was still planning to live Spring and Autumn in Turkey and Summer and Winter in the UK (that was before the rest of my body started to pack up!) so asked the consultant about this and she thought there was far less risk with long but restrained exposure than with the classic holidaymaker two-week sun splurge. Even so, a hat might be a good idea.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Hats and Sun
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »
Excellent post Colwyn. Too often we think it won't happen to me.
I usually only wear my hat on holiday.  I am able to sit in the sun abroad for short periods before I make for the umbrella with my book. Kindle this year:D   If it is really hot in UK, I am normally found in the shade.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Hats and Sun
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
One nice hot sunny afternoon perambulating in a park in Preston I suffered bad sunburn to my monk spot, resulting in mild sunstroke.
I have worn a hat from that time on.
I feel quite undressed without it.
 8)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Hats and Sun
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 13:37:33 PM »
Super post. Having suffered from sunstroke, I can say it is most unpleasant and that a hat would have been a very good idea.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Hats and Sun
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 13:40:25 PM »
And should Colwyn ever wish to go incognito, he has a very cunning disguise - just take the hat off  ;)

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Hats and Sun
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 14:44:08 PM »
If only I could get my kids to take note. I am a factor 30/50 girl being blonde haired and blue eyed. My kids laugh at me as it's all about the tan. I think it will be something more dramatic like Colwyn describes to possibly make them, sit up and take notice. I still nag them but sadly it falls on deaf ears.

Offline littlereddevil

Hats and Sun
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 19:08:53 PM »
I have to second this and would like everyone to be very careful.
I have had 1 operation for basal cell and 4 operations for a malignant melanoma.I sunbathed a lot but rarely burned, brown hair and green eyes.
Please please take care everyone, it is scary getting told malignant melanoma may kill you.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Hats and Sun
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 19:13:22 PM »
My old Dad always said "If you can't fight, wear a big hat"

I've got a lot of hats. :D ;):D

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Hats and Sun
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 19:59:53 PM »
Colwyn & Mike A, you guys wear your hats well.
:D

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Hats and Sun
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 20:14:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by KKOB

My old Dad always said "If you can't fight, wear a big hat"

I've got a lot of hats. :D ;):D

Yes and mine used to say 'If you want get ahead, get a hat'.  Still makes no sense ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf