Author Topic: So.......would you ?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
So.......would you ?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 21:30:26 PM »
But taking a million pounds of the bank's money and giving it away is not going to help with turning round RBS is it - the job he is there to do. As for public humiliation, I think he's created enough of that with his track record and 'achievements' with RBS - can he be any more publicly humiliated through this? I think it's like attacking a drowning man with a watering can.  

Offline SteveJ

So.......would you ?
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 22:15:03 PM »
IMHO - saving RBS £1m by not taking the bonus is not going to make the bank's recovery happen 1 second sooner. But giving £1m to a local hospice, a children's home, Help the Heroes, etc. could make a lot difference to a whole lot of people.  I realise that he's not allowed to sell the shares for several years (5 I think) but he could make the donation now and then take his £1m back when he's saved the bank and the share prices have recovered. If he doesn't save the bank then his shares are next to worthless and he will have lost his £1m - at least that's some incentive to perform well. Do the same next year and the guy becomes a hero.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
So.......would you ?
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 22:18:20 PM »
Ah, I understand now - giving the £1m to charity is not going to make any difference whatsoever to the recovery (or not) of RBS. So why are we talking about this irrelevant little sum of money at all then?

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
So.......would you ?
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 22:24:53 PM »
Personally I think I'd have taken the money, as that is what is in his contract, and given it to charity.  However, as BM06 and Colwyn are quite rightly pointing out the issue over executive remuneration - not just the bank executives either - has got out of hand in the UK.  A bonus should be paid for a extra ordinary performance, and not as has become the norm where executives are being paid fantastic basic salary packages with benefits, but also ridiculous bonuses for what has been at best an acceptable personal and/or company performance, and in many cases a below acceptable performance. All to do with the cash driven non-exec. director merry-go round, particularly for those members of a company's remuneration committee.  This and the fact that most shareholdings are held by indirect entities, such as pension funds, who rarely become actively involved in how a company is run, particularly where it impacts on those on the top, who regularly wine and dine them!!:-\
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 22:27:04 PM by usedbustickets »

Offline FrankStanley

So.......would you ?
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 10:49:04 AM »
Remember, we are all in this together !  : :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
So.......would you ?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »
Which is related to my question "should all employees of the RBS who are entitled to a bonus refuse to take it and should Miliband be demanding that they do".

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
So.......would you ?
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

quote:
Originally posted by pookie

...... everyone seems to have gone very political, which I guess is inevitable, but my original question was, what would you have done ?   I'd be looking for a new boat to anchor in Fethiye marina by now.....:D:D
Breaking news that Sir Fred Goodwin is to be stripped of his knighthood. So which would you choose - a million quid or the Queen investing you with an honour .... eh, Dame Pookie?

In answer to your question,  a million quid.   I would have the greatest pleasure dividing this between a couple of charities that are very close to my heart (plus a new pair of shoes for me !)....as for the honour,  no thanks, never been into that sort of stuff anyway.  If I was ever to be offered one (highly unlikely !)  I would have refused it !!

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
So.......would you ?
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
Arise Sir Pookie :D:D.... nah yer absolutely right, I'd also turn it down in the very very unlikely event that I'm offered something.  All so medieval and should have no place in a modern society, and anyway it's only really there to re-enforce the divisive British class system.  Now I must get off, as I'm off for a measurement of the old ermine edged coat ...Lord Tickets of Stockwell Garage ;)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
So.......would you ?
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by usedbustickets

Arise Sir Pookie :D[:D
 ouch !   Lady Pookie if you don't mind !

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
So.......would you ?
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 13:17:00 PM »
Whether it is right or wrong, he was contractually obligated to it, it would have been part of the reason he took on such a public visible role. He would have had it in shares if I am correct which would have hopefully gone some way to him improving the companies fortunes and in turn his shares. Sure, he could have sold them and paid the (50%?) tax on them but he wouldnt have done that as the markets/media would have been aware and what would that have said about his faith in the companies prospects if he was selling his shares.

I do think we are in danger of creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf